Forum Discussion

Mic2
Contributing User
5 months ago

Parental/ Maternity leave payments and accrual

Hi All

As rules keep changing im finding a little confusing to know exactly how maternity leave should be set up from an employers side.

We have been told that an employee must stay employed to receive maternity leave payments from centrelink and also that the payments must be paid from centrelink to the employer and the employer pay the employee.

So the employee, on paper needs to stay employed even if they have no intension of coming back until all the payments have been paid to them.

In the past, if an employee was not returning to their current workplace, centrelink would pay them directly and not involve the employer, this changed 1/7/23 apparently. Therefore there was no exta super paid or entitlements accrued during that period.

I have already set up the accounts to receive the payments and the payroll category to pay the maternity leave.

I want to clarify if when paying the materity leave if this should accrue sick leave and annual leave and also if we should be paying super on the maternity leave funds. 

Hoping someone has done this recently and can confirm. I couldnt find the specific info on the ATO website.

In Victoria

1 Reply

• I have dealt with this exact issue several times, each time, the employee has advised centrelink that they are not returning and received the amount directly...........its a **bleep**show of a system but not my circus................

but to answer the other part of your question, they normally do not accrue sick/annual leave on govt funded parental leave, only employer funded parental leave. As for Super on PPL the govt announced it would be paying super on govt funded paid parental leave, so one would assume business will have to for business funded leave. However, not sure how this equates to the process of the govt refunding the business. If the process is business pays to fund, govt refunds business, or govt pays direct to fund........................pretty sure if you call the PPL phone help line you will get a different answer each time.....................good luck