Forum Discussion

2 years ago

No Parent Headers for Other Income or Other Expenses

I have a trial version of Essentilas that I am trying to set up.

I have an issue and when trying to create the header accounts in Other Income and Other Expese as there is no option to select a parent header.

Serial Number ********0250

Tammy Dagger *******************************

No Parent Headers for Other Income or Other Expenses

Regards Tammy

• Hi FiLucas,

Thank you for your post. I'd like to extend you a warm welcome to the community forum. I hope you find it a valuable resource.

When your MYOB business file is created as an individual business type, it doesn't inherently have "Other Income" or "Other Expense" headers or accounts. Instead, it typically generates sub-accounts under Income and Expense for these categories. 

I'd like to inform you that I've taken steps to assist in resolving the issue you encountered. Scripts have been run to aid in fixing this particular issue. Please try clearing your browser cache and accessing your account now to see if the issue has been resolved. If you're still experiencing the issue, please let me know so I can assist further.

Otherwise, if my response has answered your question, please click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find this information.

Cheers,

Princess

32 Replies

Genreve_S
    MYOB Moderator

Hi TammyD69

Thanks for reaching out.

Generally, if we are creating a ledger account we could choose either to make it a header account or a detail account. May I know if there are any errors while choosing the header account? If there is any error please send us a screenshot of the whole window. 

We are looking forward to your reply. If you have any other concerns or questions please include them in your next reply.

Cheers, 

Genreve.

NJB23
      Contributing User

I have the exact same issue.  Can someone please assist.  Have spent over 2 hours on chat support and they could not help.  Please can you advise best way to get help with this?

The parent header does not show an option for both header account and detail account.

JudithMulley
        Experienced User

This may be because of the business type. If the business type is "Individual" the major headers for Other Income and Other Expenses are not there and can't be added. When you try to add them, the program will come up with an error message stating "Parent header is required". Since these ARE the parent headers, this is not possible. There is one option you can try. In Income, set up a header called "Other Income" and add the accounts you need with that as the parent header and do the same for Other Expenses. 

TammyD69

There is no option for either a parent header no matter which option you choose. There is not even a Heading in those sections as there is in the Assets, Liabilities, Equity Income and Expenses tabs.

You can choose to add an account but the pull down menue for the parent header is blank, no options to choose therefore you cant create an account.

Tammy

Genreve_S
        MYOB Moderator

Hi TammyD69

Thanks for the response. 

While creating the accounts if there are no dropdowns for the parent header it means that there is no parent header account yet on the file. Normally, there should be a parent header Other Income while creating this. If there aren't any options on your end please send me a private message containing the following:

• Serial number 
        • Full name and email address 
        • Company name
        • Screenshot of create account screen

Let me know if you have any other concerns other than this too. I'm happy to assist. 

Cheers, 

Genreve

JudithMulley
    Experienced User

Hi Tammy,

Please see my post further down the screen. Hope this helps. Unfortunately, you can't change the business type once it is created but if you are just starting out, it might be worth your while to start over and set up the business with a different business type, not Individual.

DKBocelli
      Experienced User

Hello 

If I understand correcly, if I set up as a Sole Trader then I am unable to use the Other Expense Category in the Chart of Accounts?  :(

Regards

Daron

Leneth_A
        MYOB Moderator

Hi DKBocelli 

Thanks for your post. Please allow me to extend you a very warm welcome to the Community Forum. I hope you find it a useful tool.

In this matter, we would need to send your company file for a data file repair to have Other Expense added to your company file. If you would like to proceed for a data file repair you may send me the following information via private message:

• Serial number
        • Your full name
        • Email address 
        • Business name
        • Company file name
        • Is your company file online or offline?:

If you need further help with this don't hesitate to reply and we'll be happy to assist.

Cheers,
        Leneth