Forum Discussion

JANELLE
Experienced Cover User
2 years ago

SETTING UP A HECS DEBT IN PAYROLL

can someone assist here please.

I have an employee who has a HECS debt and his monthly debt is taken out as a deduction and then added to the PAYG that is paid to ATO every month. He is saying that this is not being shown on his end saying these deductions are being paid.

Maybe I have not set up correctly. Can someone advise so I can check that the setup is correct.

Many thanks

janelle

Princess_R
    MYOB Moderator

Hi Janelle,

Thank you for your post.

In this situation, can I please confirm if you're referring to the employee's HECS deduction not showing on their pay slip? From my understanding, the HECS mandatory amounts are deducted automatically and included in your employee's PAYG when the tax is calculated. If you've selected the correct tax table in the employee's card, go to the Payroll Details tab >> Taxes. The ATO will treat this as extra tax rather than allocating it to the employee's HECS debt. Your employee should advise you on which tax table you need to select for their loan repayments. If they're unsure, I'd recommend speaking to the ATO.

I suggest checking the setup of your employees' payroll details with your accountant.

Please let me know if you require any further assistance with this. I'm happy to assist.

Cheers,

Princess