Forum Discussion

Jacquiemieg
Cover User
6 years ago
Solved

Debt recovery less debt collection fees

Hi, We used a debt recovery firm to recover a long outstanding debt, we received payment less the fee which they charged us   Debtor owed $5000 Debtor made part payment to debt recovery firm of $...
    6 years ago

Hi Jacquiemieg

Welcome to the MYOB Community Forum, I hope you find it a wealth of knowledge

I assume there are a few different ways in which you could do that, I would encourage you to speak to an accountant however below is the way I would resolve that situation:

1. Create a new contra/holding account to do this go to Accounts>>Accounts Lists>>New - Give the account a number, name and set the account type to be Bank. 
    2. Once that account has been created, generate the necessary deposit transaction into the bank account with the allocation account being the holding account being reduced by the fees from that debt company. For example a Recieve Money similar to the following:

3. When that transaction has been paid, you would record the necessary transaction to show that a payment has been made on that invoice. For example a Receive Payments transaction similar to the following:
      Note: The Deposit to account on that transaction is the Contra account and it is for the full amount of that payment (made to the collection agency).