Forum Discussion

MichelleS_ECO
Trusted Cover User
2 years ago
Solved

Bank feed receive payment with bank fee, how to match?

Hello

The issue is that the customer has paid the invoice however a bank fee has been deducted from the amount owing.

Therefore instead of receiving the full invocied amount the amount in the bank feed and therefore thru the bank account is less the bank fee taken.

There is no mention in the bank account or the bank feeds of the bank fee deduction so when the bank feed is allocated to the invocie through receive payment the invocie is showing an amount outstanding to the value of the bank fee.

Is there some way of allocating the bank fee at the time of processing the bank feed to the invoice so that the invoice shows as paid in full and the bank fee is added to the "Bank Charges" expenses account?

Regards

Michelle

CloverQ
    2 years ago

Hi MichelleS_ECO 

Thank you for the update.

Once you record the Prepare Bank Deposit transaction of the net amount, you'll need to match the bank feeds transaction to the bank deposit transaction for bank reconciliation.

Bank feeds is a means to make bank reconciliation more streamlined, the entire bank transaction amount can be quickly recorded as simple Spend Money/Receive Money transactions, or payments to open invoices/bills. A bank feed transaction cannot be matched/recorded as a withdrawal+ a deposit the same time - if that's what you are after - you do need to record them manually, then match the bank feeds transaction.

I hope this clarifies it for you, do let me know if you have any further questions.

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    CloverQ
    Former Staff

Hi MichelleS_ECO 

Whether the bank fee will appear as a separate line on the bank statement/bank feeds is up to the bank. Since your bank is sending the net amount after the fee is deducted, the idea is recording the transaction in the software to reflect what happens in real life. I'd suggest recording the payment received and the bank fee expense following the steps in this Help article: Merchant fees. The Prepare Bank Deposit transaction can then be matched to the bank transaction.

If you have any further questions please feel free to let us know.

MichelleS_ECO
      Trusted Cover User

Hello Clover

Thank you for your response to this issue. What you suggest I understand will accommodate the bank fee charges. However it does not address the bank feed entry which will remain in this instance.

My issue was how the process could be achieve thru bank feeds. Or is it correct understanding that this process is not be possible thru bank feeds?

Regards

Michelle

CloverQ
        Former Staff

Hi MichelleS_ECO 

Thank you for the update.

Once you record the Prepare Bank Deposit transaction of the net amount, you'll need to match the bank feeds transaction to the bank deposit transaction for bank reconciliation.

Bank feeds is a means to make bank reconciliation more streamlined, the entire bank transaction amount can be quickly recorded as simple Spend Money/Receive Money transactions, or payments to open invoices/bills. A bank feed transaction cannot be matched/recorded as a withdrawal+ a deposit the same time - if that's what you are after - you do need to record them manually, then match the bank feeds transaction.

I hope this clarifies it for you, do let me know if you have any further questions.