Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Spend Money: Use supplier' tax code as default

Experienced Cover User

17Posts

32Kudos

0Solutions

17 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia

We are a builder who have a lot of various subcontractors. Most are registered for GST, but there are several who are not. As MYOB doesnt currently pick up the Supplier Card tax code, we have to just "remember" which subcontractors are not registered for GST (GNR).

We are using Bank Feeds to save us time, which means we our purchases are entered as a "Spend Money" transaction (we have a rule set up). Supplier Card tax codes are not picked up in the Spend Money transactions.

The following would be useful:

1. ALLOW "SPEND MONEY" USE THE SUPPLIER CARD TAX CODE:

Can the "Spend Money" transaction be altered to apply and use the relevant Supplier Card tax code, rather than a default setting? Because this is not picked up from the Supplier Card, if a subcontractor is not registered for GST (i.e. GNR) and we have to "remember" to change the tax code MANUALLY to GNR.

-------------------------- OR -----------------------------------------

2. BANK FEEDS - ADD THE ABILITY TO "ENTER AS A PURCHASE":

I have been advised that the Supplier Card tax code is picked up through "Purchases" and we would need to go to "Enter Purchases", enter the payment $$ into the "Paid Today" Field and this would then use the Supplier Card tax code. We are using Bank Feeds to save us time, so doing the above steps would be going backwards for us. Can you add the option to "Enter as a purchase" when we right click on a bank feed transaction, which would then apply the tax code from the Supplier Card to the transaction?

I hope this makes sense. Thanks.

"Supplier Card tax code not picked up in "Spend Money" transactions"

Current Status: Open
Last Changed: November 2013

Thank you for your post @DMG-DURAL. Further to Ron's suggestion of naming your Supplier cards to indicate the Tax Code to be used, you could also set up separate (Expense) Accounts with the GNR Tax Codes. Since the Banking >> Spend Money window picks up the Tax Codes based on the account, this change will save you the trouble of changing it in the Spend Money window. Having said that we would like to know if others would like the Spend Money window to pick up the Tax Code from the Supplier card. Therefore please Vote and comment.

30 Comments
jiajarka
5 Posts
User

BigVil
5 Posts
User

I realise this has been an issue for quite some time, and clearly something that many users would like as a feature.

I have noted in previous posts that the supplier card is an optional field for Spend Money, but in many cases is likely to be selected.

It would be an easy piece of coding to assign the tax field depending on whether a supplier card has been selected or not.

Any accounts selected after the supplier card was chosen, would take on the suppliers tax code. 

Please consider this as what I think is an easy, worthwhile improvement

Beach
Partner
143 Posts
Partner

Business Pro definitely needs to take a leaf out of the desktop version that allows a default gst code for a particular supplier.  Can you imagine trying to explain to an accountant why there needs  to be 2 x expense accounts for every expense type? one for GST registered suppliers and one for GNR suppliers?

While MYOB are fixing things that have disappeared, would they please also add 'prepare bank deposit' to business pro.  While the government would like to get rid of cash and cheques, there is a long way to go. Sometimes a bar will take cash on 30th June that needs to be shown as income for the business, but obviously, the cash can't be banked that evening... so it will get banked on the next business day.

AlanT
Partner
2,368 Posts
Partner

There are so many things missing from the MYOB Business product and yet MYOB have discontinued the AR Standard & Basic products!

Just look at how old this thread is November 2013!

3 more months and we will be celebrating it's 10th birthday.

Sigh.

AlanT

Beach
Partner
143 Posts
Partner

@AlanT  Definitely - I, luckily, still have many of my clients using MYOB v19.15 - much better product.  This new rubbish is exactly that, rubbish.  I don't know where the programmers learned their trade, but they really have no idea when it comes to 'robust programming', or 'testing before release!'.  They stripped out so many useful features from V19, and now suggest that they are 'enhancements' if we want them back.  They just want to justify the every increasing subscription costs.

jiajarka
5 Posts
User

Pathetic that this issue has not yet been addressed.

Beach
Partner
143 Posts
Partner

@jiajarkadefinitely.. In Business Pro, you don't even get to add the suppliers GST code... You give MYOB their ABN - but that is all you can give. Perhaps someone had a bright idea regarding looking up the ATO whenever you used that supplier to prefill the correct GST code - but it never got to production software!

Leneth_A
MYOB Moderator
2,009 Posts
MYOB Moderator

Hi All,

We want to express our gratitude for all your feedback on this feature. We understand that it's essential for improving your workflow, and we are sorry for any inconvenience it may have caused. All your feedback is monitored by the developer's team and will be added to the product roadmap based on feature requests. We genuinely appreciate your patience and understanding throughout the process. Rest assured that we will pass along your feedback to the relevant team. Thank you once again for your patience with this matter. Feel free to come back to the Community Forum if you have any more questions, we are more than happy to assist.

jiajarka
5 Posts
User

@Leneth_A   Thats is such a robotic response!  to quote you "Patience with this matter" totally hilarious response considering its been 10 years since orignal post. Patience probably doesnt cut it. It is actually a really disappointing response considering the seriousness of the GST coding.  how many GST dollars might have accidently been claimed because a supplier was GNR and Myob defautlts to the COA code.  Like written in another post.... totally emabarrasing and ridiculous that two chart of accounts have to be set up to avoid overclaiming GST.  Your program is supposed to make it easier for users not add unnecessary layer of complexity becasuse you cant make one simple change in 10 years. 

Beach
Partner
143 Posts
Partner

@jiajarka  totally agree!  Don't get me started on all the shortcomings of AR... like... you enter staff birthdays into their card file, but MYOB can't do reminders in the 'to do' list for staff birthdays and other anniversaries. We have to put entries in the contact log!   When I learned programming 40 yes ago, we were taught that the benefits of a data base are that you only have to enter data once, and anything you want to retrieve can be found in the database.  MYOB programmers don't seem to understand the concept.