Forum Discussion

ang2017
Experienced Cover User
4 years ago
Solved

2020.3 Cannot delete a payroll transaction - System.ArgumentNull Exception

Hi,

Since upgrading to 2020.3 I cannot delete a payroll transaction and I get the following error message:

AccountRight 2020.3.24.318 Error information: System.ArgumentNull Exception

Please advise what I can do to rectify.

Thanks

Angela

• Hi ang2017 

Thank you for your response.

From my understanding, once a payroll has been reported it cannot be deleted. If you want to delete a pay that's already been reported to the ATO, you'll need to reverse it instead and then report the reversal to the ATO. In regards to this information not being in the release notes and the feedback on reversing a pay, I will be sure to let the appropriate teams know.

My apologies also for not clarifying what I meant by 'stop the services'. The AccountRight server service is a Windows service installed with AccountRight that accesses the data in your company file. In saying that, if your work around has worked then the work around above won’t be required. However, if the error occurs again, please try the above work around to check if it resolves the error you are receiving.

Once a fix is available I will be sure to let you know via this post. Please do let us know if you have any other questions or if I can be of further assistance.

43 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Jesh_D
    Former Staff

Hi ang2017 

Thank you for your post.

This error is one that our product developers are aware of and are working to create a fix for at the earliest. In the meantime, a workaround would be to either stop the services on the server and process or move the file to the local computer and stop services on the local machine and process. Once completed start the services again.

Please let us know how you get on and if you require further assistance.

ang2017
      Experienced Cover User

Hi Jesh

I've since discovered that you can no longer delete payroll transactions in 2020.3.  This was not highlighted in the release notes.

So I tried to select 'Reverse' and reverse the pay but I'm getting the same error message!!  Even though the release notes say that it is easier to 'Reverse' a pay with the new update. It is in fact the opposite - you cannot Reverse at all!!

I've solved the problem by manually reversing the pay (creating a payroll entry with negative figures).

I don't understand what you mean 'stop the services'.  I'm hoping I don't need to do this again before an update is released that fixes the problem.  Could you please provide some detailed instructions on how do this and what this actually means.

Kind Regards

Angela

Jesh_D
        Former Staff

Hi ang2017 

Thank you for your response.

From my understanding, once a payroll has been reported it cannot be deleted. If you want to delete a pay that's already been reported to the ATO, you'll need to reverse it instead and then report the reversal to the ATO. In regards to this information not being in the release notes and the feedback on reversing a pay, I will be sure to let the appropriate teams know.

My apologies also for not clarifying what I meant by 'stop the services'. The AccountRight server service is a Windows service installed with AccountRight that accesses the data in your company file. In saying that, if your work around has worked then the work around above won’t be required. However, if the error occurs again, please try the above work around to check if it resolves the error you are receiving.

Once a fix is available I will be sure to let you know via this post. Please do let us know if you have any other questions or if I can be of further assistance.