Forum Discussion

TomD
Trusted Cover User
3 years ago
Solved

Revise or Adjust and how in STP

In January a new staff member provided incorrect account details, so his first pay went into his Superfund instead of his bank account. As the bank was unable to retrieve the funds and we had made payment based on the information provided, we provided an ex-Gratia payment of 50% to help the employee.  He subsequently asked us to assist with providing information to his superfund in the hope that they might return the fund.  While I have not had any confirmation or anything in writing, I received a credit of almost the same amount in our bank account. So I am now wondering how to fix up the employee with respect to STP and deal with the funds. 

My thinking is that I will make a payment of the amount received from the Superfund less our prior ex-Gratia payment but I am unsure how to account for it and how to ensure that the employee's end of year records will be correct. As he is no longer working for us, any transaction under wages now will also have a different tax rate than originally. Any guidance will be appreciated.

• Hi TomD 

In that case, you can either do a Negative Pay or Reversal. It is possible to do an adjustment for an employee but there are a few steps you need to do first:

1. Remove the finalisation on STP Reporting: Changing a pay after finalising with Single Touch Payroll 

2. Change employee back to active: Card file > Card List > open Employee > untick Inactive Employee

3. Remove the termination date: Card file > Card List > open Employee > Payroll Details > Remove the date under Termination Date

4. Send through the adjustment, then make sure to finalise again and change the card back to Inactive/Terminated

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    SamaraM
    Former Staff

Hi TomD 

From your explanation, it sounds like you wouldn't need to touch the payrun itself as it was paid to the wrong bank account so the pay transaction is correct and will not affect the employees end of year records. 

From an AccountRight perspective you could account for this by recording the following transactions:

• a Receive money for the refunded amount, allocated to a suspense type account
    • a Spend money for the ex-gratia 50% payment allocated to the same suspense type account
    • a Spend money for the second 50% payment allocated to the same suspense type account

As the original pay transaction and the bank feed transaction are for the same amount they can be matched and reconciled.

As I can only give general advice based on the information provided, I strongly recommend that you check this with your accountant before recording any transactions to ensure it is correct for this situation.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

TomD
      Trusted Cover User

Samara,

you are correct in assuming that I can make payment now without going through payroll in this case but the issue for me is that the staff member  received in STP:

1) one full salary  (which did not get to him due to his mistake)

2) half a salary which we paid voluntarily to support the staff member at the time 

These transactions are in STP. 

I am not sure but it looks as if I can do a new Payrun with a negative entry as per this link:

https://help.myob.com/wiki/display/ar/Fixing+a+payroll+overpayment+or+underpayment#expand-Tofixanoverpayment

As he is no longer with us, I cannot adjust any ongoing pay but need to run a negative payment. Not sure if this will work?

Basically I can now pay him half a salary so that his original entitlement for wages is covered but STP will still show  1.5 salaries.  I don't think we need to let him keep the voluntary payment so that he profits from his mistake. So somehow I will need to revise/override the pay that included the voluntary payment, otherwise his end of year statement will show more than he got.

SamaraM
        Former Staff

Hi TomD 

In that case, you can either do a Negative Pay or Reversal. It is possible to do an adjustment for an employee but there are a few steps you need to do first:

1. Remove the finalisation on STP Reporting: Changing a pay after finalising with Single Touch Payroll 

2. Change employee back to active: Card file > Card List > open Employee > untick Inactive Employee

3. Remove the termination date: Card file > Card List > open Employee > Payroll Details > Remove the date under Termination Date

4. Send through the adjustment, then make sure to finalise again and change the card back to Inactive/Terminated