Employee and/or Director Reimbursements via Spend Money

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Jen65
Trusted Cover User
165 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Trusted Cover User

165Posts

4Kudos

2Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Employee and/or Director Reimbursements via Spend Money

Hi, Ive noticed that reimbursing an employee for expenses is now done through payroll but for years i have done it through spend money using their payroll card, is there a problem with this ???

Also now i need to reimburse my Director who has made a payment on his personal credit card he does not have an employee card so do I set up a card just in his name and then reimburse him through spend money, I assume this would be the correct way to do it.

4 REPLIES 4
Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Re: Employee and/or Director Reimbursements via Spend Money

Hi @Jen65 

Thanks for your post. Generally speaking you could use either method, however, processing the reimbursement through payroll allows you to track and report the reimbursements. If you're not sure what's best for your business I do recommend speaking to your accountant about how they should be recorded.

Directors would typically have Director loan accounts which are used to track purchases and reimbursements. A Director loan account would be set up as either a Liability or Asset account with the Account Type set as Credit Card or Bank. When recording purchases paid for by the Director you would change the Pay From Account to the Director Loan account. When you reimburse the Director you would record a Transfer Money transaction, transferring the amount from the bank account to the director loan account.

I'd also recommend checking with your accountant about how best to record the payments made by the Director to suit your business. If setting up a Director Loan account you'll also need to ask your accountant if it needs to be an Asset or Liability account.

Please let me know if you need further help.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Jen65
Trusted Cover User
165 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Trusted Cover User

165Posts

4Kudos

2Solutions

This is a business expense though just the Director paid by his personal bank card in error not the business credit card, so i need to reimburse him but I need to record the expense and reimburse him?

Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @Jen65 

A Director loan account is generally set up to track amounts paid by and owing to the Director. So if the Director pays for a business expense on his personal credit card you would:

1. record the business expense as either a Pay Bill or Spend Money transaction and change the Pay from account to the Director loan account. Whether you record the purchase as a Spend Money or Enter Purchase and Pay Bill, the expense is allocated to the applicable expense or Cost of Sale accountsm.PNG

2. when you reimburse the Director record a Transfer money transaction, this shows the amount as a withdrawal in the bank account and clears the Director loan accounttm.PNG

3. go to Find Transactions and search by the Director Loan account, there should be a credit for the purchase transaction and a debit for the reimbursementft.PNG

Please let me know if you need further help with this.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Jen65
Trusted Cover User
165 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia