Partner Zone

How do I setup and process Employer funded Paid parental leave

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Experienced User
20 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User




Solved: Go to Solution

How do I setup and process Employer funded Paid parental leave

An employee is going to receive government paid parental leave and the employer will kindly pay a top up pay as well.

I know how to set up for the government Paid Parental leave  (liability,income and expense accounts)

but my question is how do I setup for the employer funded payments?

Should I have 2 different Payroll categories eg: PPL -govt and PPL-employer?

Then to process the pay do I have 2 wage categories ie: PPL-govt and PPL-employer

Is it correct that the govt one would need the 3 accounts (liability,income and expense accounts) and the payment top up would be set up like a bonus and come from the gross wages account?

I look forward to a response Smiley Happy

MYOB Moderator
2,585 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator




Accepted Solution Solved

Re: How do I setup and process Employer funded Paid parental leave

Hi @MichelleMelb 


Please have a look through this Help Article which outlines the instructions to set up paid parental leave in AccountRight. The instructions given refer to government funded parental leave, and as such they involve setting up a Liability Account to receive government funds, an Income Account to reflect those government payments as income to your business, and finally an Expense Account to funnel those payments to the employee. Lastly you would be setting up a Wage Category for parental leave which is attached to the employee in question. 


As your parental leave is employer funded, the way I understand it, is that you would not need the Liability and Income accounts, but you would still set up the Expense Account as per others in which the funds are coming from the employer. I would recommend consulting your accounting advisor to be sure, however. This post may offer some additional advice, though this does seem to be a very situational topic based on company policies etc.


The Help Article above will also walk you through the other necessary steps to process this in payroll, i.e. setting up the Wage Category, exempting it from Super and accruing entitlements, paying the employee, and reseting the employee's standard pay upon return. 

Kind regards,

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post