Forum Discussion

Ly
Experienced Cover User
2 years ago
Solved

Payroll overpayment

Good morning,

I would like to seek advice as how to fix overpayment on final pay please.

I paid 'unused annual leave 288 hours' and 'unused long service leave 454 hours' but mistakenly also paid 'annual leave 288 hours' and 'annual leave loading 288 hours'. Please advise how to fix it. As a result, an employee gets double payment in 'annual leave hours'. I put fortnightly pay period, I am wondering how tax withheld would be affected or it can be sorted out when she does her tax return 2022-2023.

Your prompt response would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Ly

Good morning everyone,

Following my post above, I reversed the pay and reprocessed the correct one as advised by MYOB support team but the employee's tax accountant said the figures do not match with his end. Please find attached all files here for your reference. Please assist to find out the errors.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

Ly

• Hi Ly 

The FBT year spans two financial years. In that FBT screenshot you've got:

Financial year 2021/22 - 01/04/2022 - 30/06/2022 $3,666

Financial year 2022/23 - 01/07/2022 - 08/11/2022 $12,220

Total for the FBT year is $15,886

The payroll and STP reports are for this financial year only so are reporting $12,220. 

Please let me know if you need further help.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

10 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Ly
    Experienced Cover User

Good morning,

I would like to seek advice as how to fix overpayment on final pay please.

I paid 'unused annual leave 288 hours' and 'unused long service leave 454 hours' but mistakenly also paid 'annual leave 288 hours' and 'annual leave loading 288 hours'. Please advise how to fix it. As a result, an employee gets double payment in 'annual leave hours'. I put fortnightly pay period, I am wondering how tax withheld would be affected or it can be sorted out when she does her tax return 2022-2023.

Your prompt response would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Ly

• Hi Ly 

Thanks for your post. If the wage amount was transferred to the employee's bank account, how you handle an overpayment depends on whether the employee is repaying the overpaid amount. If they are not repaying the amount you would leave it as is because that is the amount the employee received. If they are repaying the amount, process a negative pay for the overpaid amount. This will reduce the employee's YTD amounts and you can match the deposit in the bank account with the negative pay transaction.

If the wage amount was not paid to the employee's bank account, you would reverse the incorrect pay and re-process with the correct amounts. This would automatically update the YTD amounts in STP.

If the YTD amounts are not correct in STP, process a $0 pay to update those amounts. 

Fixing a payroll overpayment or underpayment

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Ly
      Experienced Cover User

Hi Tracey_H 

Thanks for your reply. I did as per your advice below but found the discrepancy as attached.

Gross payments figures: $37,026.88 (Summary of payments) vs Wages $83,688.87 (Payroll Register/Activity)

Also the Salary Sacrifice should be $15,886.00 but it is only $12,220.00 in Summary of payments.

Please advise.

Kind regards,

Ly

Tracey_H
        Former Staff

Hi Ly 

Looking at those screenshots the Summary of payments report matches the Payroll register and activity reports.

Total Wages on the Payroll register and activity reports is $83,688.87, this includes all wage payroll categories.

The Summary of payments reports the amounts according to the ATO reporting category assigned to the payroll category. If you add all the ATO reporting categories that are wage payroll categories you've got:

Gross payments $37,026.88 plus Unused leave on termination $41,499.98 plus Paid leave other $5,162.01 equals $83,688.87. So the Summary of payments reconciles with the Payroll activity and register reports.

To assist with reconciling the STP reports and payroll reports run the Payroll summary report in the browser. This report includes the ATO reporting categories so helps with matching the amounts in the payroll reports with the amounts in the STP reports.

The Salary sacrifice amount on all 3 reports is $12,220.00. On the Summary of payments it is reported as Salary sacrifice - other employee benefits. In the Payroll activity and register reports it is reported in the Deductions column as it is a deduction payroll category. These reports show the salary sacrifice amount processed through Process Payroll.

The Account transactions (Accrual) report shows all transactions posted to the selected account so is not a reflection of actual payroll amounts. For example, I processed 3 payruns with salary sacrifice deduction of $300 and I reversed one pay run. So the actual salary sacrifice amount is $600 (2 pay runs):

The Account transactions (Accrual) report has a total of $900 because that total includes the pay transaction that was reversed. In this screenshot the 3 credits of $300 are the 3 pay runs, CD000006 is the reversal and transaction 231 is the liability payment transaction: