2 Posts
User

2Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Refrigerant gas stock on hand

Hi,

I'm a sole trader and I buy various types of Refrigerant gas for refrigeration systems that I use occasionally when I need to gas up a system. The refrigerant cylinder I buy comes in 12Kg of refrigerant gas. Now I don't use all the gas at once but I use it when I need too i.e. 2 -  3kg at a time.

When I create an invoice I sell to the customer and make a markup on the gas what account should be used in this instance? Is this an asset or would this be considered an expense, or could I use both?

1 REPLY 1
Earl_HD
MYOB Moderator
3,410 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

3,410Posts

116Kudos

273Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Refrigerant gas stock on hand

Hi @Moose1,

Thank you so much for your detailed post and my apologies for the late response. 

In this kind of situation, it's a great idea to consult with your Accountant for the most precise guidance. From what I know, purchasing the refrigerant gas is generally viewed as an expense. But considering that you sell it to customers with a markup, treating it as inventory or stock might provide a more accurate representation. Using both expense and asset accounts might not capture the full picture accurately. Tracking it as inventory or stock could better align with the buying and selling dynamics of this product in your business. Consulting your Accountant will ensure you choose the most suitable approach for your specific circumstances.

Feel free to post again, we're happy to help!
Regards,
Earl

MYOB Community Forum

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Accept it as a Solution
Leave a to tell others

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post