Allocating payrun to bank transaction

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
SJ2002
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Allocating payrun to bank transaction

Volunteer treasurer here for sports club, so accounts not my area of expertise. We have one employee, which we pay from our bank account. Prior to recent upgrade, I would enter payrun in essentials, and this was picked up in bank feed and automatched. since upgrade this doesnt happen and I have no idea how to allocate.  I think it is something to do with the account that the payrun is allocated to.  can someone please help me put things back to how they used to be?  Thx and sorry if the question is unclear or dumb!

8 REPLIES 8
Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Re: Allocating payrun to bank transaction

Hi @SJ2002 

Thanks for your post. If the employee's Payment method is electronic the net pay amount is posted to the electronic clearing account so you will need to process the electronic payment. We've changed the process for electronic payments in the newer MYOB Essentials platform as we've added the ability to pay suppliers electronically. 

If the employee has been paid you don't need to upload the bank file to the bank but you will need to click on Download bank file to record the electronic payment transaction. You can then match the bank transaction to the electronic payment transaction.

For future pays, if you're not going to pay the employee using a bank file you can change their Payment method to Cash or Cheque. Then go to Accounting>>Manage linked accounts>>Payroll tab and make sure the correct bank account is selected for Bank account for cash/cheque payments.

Before you can process the electronic payment transaction you will need to set up electronic payments. These Help Articles have detailed instructions:

Setting up electronic payments

Making electronic payments

Please let me know how you go.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

SJ2002
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I am still struggling with this and to be honest I am really annoyed about it, because my accounts wer fine before this upgrade.  I am unable to contact anyone in normal hours because I have a full time job (this is just a voluntary position)  I wasted over an hour of my life waiting for the help desk to answer the phone on Sunday, only to have the line drop out. 

I think I will send your response to our auditor, who can sort it out for me!  Thank you anyway.

SJ2002
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi again Tracey

I have done some more investigating, and may have identified an issue for us in the way we operate.

We are a small committee and any payments from our bank require 2 factor authorisation as per our Constitution. There are only 3 people able to auth payment, 1 is the employee (so she cannot be the co authoriser on her own payment) The 3rd person is notoriously difficult to get hold of.  

For this reason, I have an authorised payment from our account for the same amount every week to the employee. When she takes leave, and I have to pay leave loading, I make and additional payment just for the leave loading, so it shows a split payment.

Am I right in saying that the upgraded system will not allow me to make split payments unless I chose the electronic pay option? If so, this wont work for us as I can only make payments with 2 authorisations. (does this make sense)

Do you have a suggestion as to how I can make this work for us (ie exactly as it was in the old system)

Thank you!

Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Hi @SJ2002 

Electronic payments allow you to pay employees or suppliers in batches by uploading an ABA file to your bank. This saves you from having to manually enter the payments into internet banking, which is great if you're paying a large number of employees or suppliers. The process is:

1. employee's Payment method is Electronic (employee card)
  2. record pay run - net amount is posted to the electronic clearing account
  3. process electronic payment - select all pay transactions to be paid
  4. click on Download bank file - 
    • ABA file is created, upload in internet banking and authorise 
    • electronic payment transaction is recorded, net amount is moved from the electronic clearing account to the bank account for matching in Bank transactions

Whether the employee's Payment method is Electronic, Cash or Cheque won't affect authorising payments in internet banking. It only affects the way you process the transactions in the software. Unless you apply for and use Direct payments, these payments are authorised from within the software.

Please let me know if you need further help.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

SJ2002
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Thank you for trying to help me. I am still struggling with this. I have downloaded some notes and it seems that in order to process the "Fake" ABA file, I need to have a bank code and a direct entry user ID.  On checking with our bank it seems I have to register for this, which we are charged for. So it seems I have to pay for a service that I dont want to use?  to prepare electronic payments, I cannot proceed because it says the account details are missing (hope you can keep up with this. Is ther somthing really obvious I am missing?

Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Hi @SJ2002 

The bank code is the 3 identifying letters of your bank, eg NAB, ANZ, CBA. For the direct entry user ID you can enter 00000 if you're not going to upload the ABA file to your bank. The direct entry user ID is included in the ABA file and used by the bank so it won't affect the Essentials transaction.

Please let me know if you need further help.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

SJ2002
Contributing User
5 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

5Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Thank you again for you help. Unfortunately, still not resolved. I will try again tomorrow

Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Hi @SJ2002 

If you're still having trouble can you send me a screenshot of the error you're getting and I'll be happy to assist further.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post