Invoices that include GST and GST-Free Items - Tax Code ?

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
RJ12
1 Post
User
User

1Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Invoices that include GST and GST-Free Items - Tax Code ?

Hey,

I've just started using MYOB and I was importing invoices (create bill function under Purchases tab)

We are a restaurant business and so when I receive invoices from suppliers there are some items have GST, and others will be GST-Free such as Milk etc... however I'm not sure how I can easily set it up to report the correct GST amount.

For example this invoice I'm looking at now came out to $1.740.97 incl GST, but the GST amount is only $27.33 total, the software however thinks the GST amount is $158.27.

Is there any way to do this properly in a streamlined way?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Earl_HD
MYOB Moderator
3,410 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

3,410Posts

116Kudos

272Solutions

Re: Invoices that include GST and GST-Free Items - Tax Code ?

Hi @RJ12,

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the Community Forum! I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with your invoices. I really appreciate your patience and understanding about this issue, and I do apologize for the delayed response. To accurately set up your AccountRight software to report the correct GST amount for invoices with a mix of GST and GST-free items, follow these steps:

Create GST-Free Items:

• First, ensure that you have created separate inventory or item codes for GST-free items like milk and other items that do not attract GST.

Assign Tax Codes:

• When you create or edit these items, make sure to assign the appropriate tax code. For GST-free items, the tax code should be set to "GST Free" or the equivalent.

Configure Tax Codes for Supplier Invoices:

• When you receive invoices from suppliers, ensure that you assign the correct tax codes to each line item based on whether it is GST-free or not.  should allow you to specify the tax code for each line item on the invoice.

Review Tax Calculation:

• Before finalizing the invoice entry, review the tax calculation to ensure that the software is correctly calculating GST based on the tax codes assigned to each line item.

Check Invoice Total:

• Confirm that the total GST amount calculated by matches the actual GST amount on the invoice. If it does not, double-check the tax codes assigned to each item.

Generate Reports:

• After processing the invoices, generate GST reports from MYOB AccountRight to verify that the GST amounts are correctly recorded. MYOB should offer various reports for tax reporting purposes.

Note: that If you continue to experience discrepancies or have complex tax scenarios, consider consulting with an accountant who is familiar with MYOB AccountRight and can provide guidance on configuring your software correctly.

Regards,
Earl

MYOB Community Forum

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Accept it as a Solution
Leave a to tell others

Richard1052
Contributing User
8 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

8Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi,

What you need to do is go into the bill.

Select whether the figures you are using are GST exclusive or inclusive. Sometimes you may need to select GST inclusive so the payment to supplier is correct. Final GST amount can sometimes be a few cents different to supplier invoice due to rounding. I don't worry about this because when reporting to ATO, they only look at round numbers.

There is a table below that where  you can separate what is GST and what is GST free by selecting the Tax code. If there is freight, then I would separate that out as well. 

Hope that helps!

Genreve_S
MYOB Moderator
2,919 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

2,919Posts

90Kudos

387Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @RJ12

Thanks for your posting, 

I would suggest following @Earl_HD and @Richard1052's advice. 

The GST values of an item could be edited by going to Inventory > Items > Name of item > Selling. This would set defaults for that certain item. 

Also, when creating an invoice each item has an option to change the tax code.

Let us know if you require any further assistance with this. We're happy to help. 

Cheers, 
Genreve

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post