Forum Discussion

5 years ago
Solved

Overpayment by customer

A customer has paid me 3 times for the same invoice.  I can allocate the original payment and then the 1st overpayment against the invoice involved, but when they have paid it again I can not allocate it against the paid invoice again because it is no longer in the closed sales.  I do not have another invoice to allocate to/ or would not prefer to allocate to another invoice at this stage.  How do I overcome this.

• Hi colleenWatson 

AccountRight will only allow for a closed or open invoice or order to appear in the Receive Payments window. If an overpayment has been made on an invoice it would actually make that invoice a credit and thus not appear in that window.

Should you need to apply multiple payments to that credit invoice the process I would use is outlined below:

1. Delete the current payment on that invoice that made it a credit - Open the Recieve Payment transaction and select Edit>>Delete payment
    2. Process the individual payments as Recieve Money transactions with the Deposit to Account being the bank account and the Allocation Account being a holding bank account*
    3. Once recorded, do a Sales>>Receive Payment transaction with the Deposit to Account being the holding the account for the full amounts of those payments.

Holding bank account created via Accounts>>Accounts Lists>>New - give the account a number, name and set the account type to be Bank.

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi colleenWatson 

AccountRight will only allow for a closed or open invoice or order to appear in the Receive Payments window. If an overpayment has been made on an invoice it would actually make that invoice a credit and thus not appear in that window.

Should you need to apply multiple payments to that credit invoice the process I would use is outlined below:

1. Delete the current payment on that invoice that made it a credit - Open the Recieve Payment transaction and select Edit>>Delete payment
    2. Process the individual payments as Recieve Money transactions with the Deposit to Account being the bank account and the Allocation Account being a holding bank account*
    3. Once recorded, do a Sales>>Receive Payment transaction with the Deposit to Account being the holding the account for the full amounts of those payments.

Holding bank account created via Accounts>>Accounts Lists>>New - give the account a number, name and set the account type to be Bank.

colleenWatson
      Partner

Hi, thanks for that.  I gathered that is what I had to do.  It would be so much easier and quicker if we could still allocate the 3 overpayments to the same closed invoice.  It keeps the history together, and most of all it saves time.

Cheers

Col