Forum Discussion

Mummsy
Experienced Cover User
8 months ago
Solved

Apply an overpayment to a different customer

A customer has overpaid an invoice (in March 2023) and this has been applied and reconciled with a credit in place. This customer runs multiple businesses under different names, and now has requested that we apply the overpayment to a different customer (in September 2023). 

Is there an easy way to apply this payment?

• Hi Mummsy

Thanks for posting your concern in the forum.

I understand how uncommon this scenario is. In my understanding, we are trying to apply credits from a customer to another customer's invoice in the file. Unfortunately, the application does not have a feature specific to this scenario. You could create a clearing account to refund the overpayment and pay the other customer using that clearing account, but I would suggest seeking advice from an accountant with this since this is considered financial advice. 

Let us know if you require any further assistance with this. 

Thanks,
    Genreve

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Genreve_S
    MYOB Moderator

Hi Mummsy

Thanks for posting your concern in the forum.

I understand how uncommon this scenario is. In my understanding, we are trying to apply credits from a customer to another customer's invoice in the file. Unfortunately, the application does not have a feature specific to this scenario. You could create a clearing account to refund the overpayment and pay the other customer using that clearing account, but I would suggest seeking advice from an accountant with this since this is considered financial advice. 

Let us know if you require any further assistance with this. 

Thanks,
    Genreve