Forum Discussion

JojoA1
Experienced User
2 years ago
Solved

Pre purchase questions for AccountRight Premier purchase

Hi,

My boss has given me a list of questions before we purchase the AccountRight Premier online multi currency package.

I know the answer for some but would like a professional/expert answer so that I can present it to him.

1: Is there an option to purchase the software outright ie. not a monthly subscription?

2: If we go with the subscription model (cloud based) how are we able to take physical backups at our end?

3: If we decided to cancel the subscription, or move to another software package, how could we access all the historical data?

4: Are we able to send the files from MYOB to our accountants? Is it the back up file that we would send?

5: When using the term Cloud, where is MYOB's central server located?

6: Can we use the program offline for example if the internet goes down?

Thank you and sorry if these questions have been asked before as I have just signed up to the MYOB Community today.

Jo

• Hi JojoA1 

I will try an answer all your questions

1. I believe you can pay a one off fee for MYOB only if you intend to have your file stored locally (and not in the cloud) - really monthly subs are the easiest and simplist. You sort of get use to it.

2. If your file is clod based - you have to back up manually - it is a standard part of the File Dropdown - Backup file and depending on sie and time of day is a relatively simple procedure - and is backed up to a local computer location - once it is done once - MYOB remembers the location and backup is simple. 

I have been an MYOB user and CC for 25 years plus - this is generally simple, efficient and works - it isn't fool proof but if you do regular backups (and regularly test a restore locally to check it - it is excellent)

3. Unlike XERO - MYOB has a file that is yours - your backup can be restored locally to a workable .myox MYOB file from which you can extract all your data.

4. You do not need to send your cloud based file to the accountant - you invite them to use the online version and can lock it down to give them only the access they need - this is a very good feature. If you intend to run your file locally - which is a very workable alternative - unless that file resides on a Terminal Server server then yes you will need to send your backed file to your accountant.

5. MYOB's Cloud is a secure Australian territory based servers - probably not in one place (which is what people think) - the cloud entity will be probably built across numerous geo-locations to ensure that if any 1 centre goes down online provisioning continues unhindered - unlike a geo - single server location - i.e. it is a dispersed cloud system with many nodes 

6. No that feature was deprecated by Microsoft - you can of course (if you can get to your file in the cloud) take it offline with a copy (backup) run this locally then restore the online version. Not something I recommend for a general user as it is much simpler to tether your laptop to your mobile from anywhere - and continue using MYOB - i.e the internet is generally available everywhere through many means.

Hope this helps.

The Doc

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    JojoA1
    Experienced User

Hi,

My boss has given me a list of questions before we purchase the AccountRight Premier online multi currency package.

I know the answer for some but would like a professional/expert answer so that I can present it to him.

1: Is there an option to purchase the software outright ie. not a monthly subscription?

2: If we go with the subscription model (cloud based) how are we able to take physical backups at our end?

3: If we decided to cancel the subscription, or move to another software package, how could we access all the historical data?

4: Are we able to send the files from MYOB to our accountants? Is it the back up file that we would send?

5: When using the term Cloud, where is MYOB's central server located?

6: Can we use the program offline for example if the internet goes down?

Thank you and sorry if these questions have been asked before as I have just signed up to the MYOB Community today.

Jo

The_Doc
      Ultimate Partner

Hi JojoA1 

I will try an answer all your questions

1. I believe you can pay a one off fee for MYOB only if you intend to have your file stored locally (and not in the cloud) - really monthly subs are the easiest and simplist. You sort of get use to it.

2. If your file is clod based - you have to back up manually - it is a standard part of the File Dropdown - Backup file and depending on sie and time of day is a relatively simple procedure - and is backed up to a local computer location - once it is done once - MYOB remembers the location and backup is simple. 

I have been an MYOB user and CC for 25 years plus - this is generally simple, efficient and works - it isn't fool proof but if you do regular backups (and regularly test a restore locally to check it - it is excellent)

3. Unlike XERO - MYOB has a file that is yours - your backup can be restored locally to a workable .myox MYOB file from which you can extract all your data.

4. You do not need to send your cloud based file to the accountant - you invite them to use the online version and can lock it down to give them only the access they need - this is a very good feature. If you intend to run your file locally - which is a very workable alternative - unless that file resides on a Terminal Server server then yes you will need to send your backed file to your accountant.

5. MYOB's Cloud is a secure Australian territory based servers - probably not in one place (which is what people think) - the cloud entity will be probably built across numerous geo-locations to ensure that if any 1 centre goes down online provisioning continues unhindered - unlike a geo - single server location - i.e. it is a dispersed cloud system with many nodes 

6. No that feature was deprecated by Microsoft - you can of course (if you can get to your file in the cloud) take it offline with a copy (backup) run this locally then restore the online version. Not something I recommend for a general user as it is much simpler to tether your laptop to your mobile from anywhere - and continue using MYOB - i.e the internet is generally available everywhere through many means.

Hope this helps.

The Doc

JojoA1
        Experienced User

Thank you so much!!!

I called MYOB and I must say that you have answered all the questions in a way that I can understand and present to me boss.

MYOB did say I could work offline and then select Sync the Account to online copy, but reading your answer am I correct in thinking that I could prehaps run into some trouble doing that (also as we are getting this package specifically for the multi currency option) and just hotspot instead?