Forum Discussion

2 years ago
Solved

Write off Bad Debts (original invoices in foreign currencies)

I need to write off some historical invoices recorded in one of my client's MYOB AccountRight online file, which were originally issued in foreign currency (USD) & converted to Aust dollars (AUD) at historical foreign exchange rates at dates of invoices being issued. So how should I record the "Bad Debts" via Settle Return & Credits as a negative sale via the Sales Register menu? Do I need to create the matching invoices in negative equivalent amounts in USD or AUD? As there will be foreign currency exchange rates differences - date of bad debts recorded (different from original invoice), do I also need to create a new Expense Account - Realised foreign exchange losses?

• Hi UnhappyUser7892 

Writing off bad debts are usually done by reversing of the original sale, and allocating the transaction to a bad debts expense account. As there is the addition of being a foreign currency transaction, you will need to deal with the difference due to the exchange rate, which you would usually put against a gains/loss account.

We recommend checking with a financial advisor on how best to record this transaction in your specific situation, but when you are ready to record it, these Help Articles have detailed information and instructions:

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    SamaraM
    Former Staff

Hi UnhappyUser7892 

Writing off bad debts are usually done by reversing of the original sale, and allocating the transaction to a bad debts expense account. As there is the addition of being a foreign currency transaction, you will need to deal with the difference due to the exchange rate, which you would usually put against a gains/loss account.

We recommend checking with a financial advisor on how best to record this transaction in your specific situation, but when you are ready to record it, these Help Articles have detailed information and instructions:

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.