Forum Discussion

LKT
User
13 days ago

Upgrading perpetual licence software

Hi Friends, 

This is a bit confusing, and I think it is also rather unique but I hope someone can help.

I have a perpetual licence for AccountRight Basics which I have purchased in 2017. It was part of the agreement that I do not update the software. In return, I would be able to use it for two files/entities.

Both entities are very simple. One has only 3 or 4 transactions a year. (I was new to ATO requirements and believed that you had to have accounting software for every entity. I understand now that I did not really need it). 

Lately, it has become a hassle to confirm company files as it takes about an hour using chat (you cannot do it over the internet) and I have to do it about once every two months. 

When I asked MYOB assistant if I could upgrade the software and give away "using two entities" condition. She said it was as easy as downloading the newest software and upgrading the file under the same perpetual licence. However, I cannot find the latest version of AccountRight Basics and afraid that I lose access to both files if I do something wrong. 

Can I upgrade my software under my perpetual licence and use it for one entity?

It is so difficult to get to MYOB on the phone (impossible in my vase) so I hope someone from the community can help. 

Thank you in advance. 

LKT

3 Replies

Liz_A
    Valued User

Hi LKT 

I think you need to say exactly which version you are on by logging into your file and checking Help - About AccountRight Basics. This will assist with your next steps. 

You need to be aware that if you do upgrade to the latest version, you will probably have to pay a subscription, regardless of your Perpetual Licence so it's best to check this before you go ahead.

Cheers

Liz

Isaiah_C
    MYOB Moderator

Hi LKT,

Thank you for the post. I understand how important it is for you to manage your software effectively and avoid any potential issues with your company files. You can indeed upgrade your software under your perpetual license. Typically, perpetual licenses allow you to continue using the software version you purchased indefinitely, and you should be able to upgrade within the same version family. Since you are unable to find the latest version of AccountRight Basics, I recommend checking the MYOB download page for any available updates specific to your version. When you upgrade the software, it's the product itself that gets updated to the latest version. This upgrade is not dependent on the number of entities you are managing. You can continue to use the upgraded software for any number of entities allowed by your original license. For more information, please check this link.

We recommend creating a backup of your company file before proceeding with the upgrade. You can find detailed instructions on how to create and restore a backup in our Help Article: Back up your company file then Restore your company file.

Regards,

Sai

LKT
      User

Hi Sai,

Thank you for your advice. 

I have looked through all the products on the MYOB download page but there is no AccountRight Basics product. 

Could it be under some other name? 
      Can you please recommend the best way of contacting MYOB for specific help as opposed to general advice that I seem to get all the time. 
      Many thanks in advance,
      LKT