Forum Discussion

5 years ago

Cash Receipts collected and used without banking it

Hi,   i'm new here and would be grateful to get some help.   i have some cash receipts which were not bank, rather being used.   how do i record it and will it affects my bank reconciliation an...
    Tracey_H
    5 years ago

Hi Kadiala 

If you receive a cash payment for $500, record the full payment in either Receive Money or Receive Payments to the Undeposited Funds account.

When that cash is used to make a purchase, record the purchase as Spend Money or Pay Bills to the Undeposited Funds account.

If the purchase was for the full $500, in the Prepare Bank Deposit window you will have a debit transaction (Receive Money/Payments) for $500 and a credit transaction (Spend Money/Pay bills) for $500. When you select both of those transactions the Bank Deposit amount is $0.00, as such, the bank reconciliation is not affected as no amount has been allocated to the Bank account.

If the purchase was for $300, when you select both of those transactions the Total Deposit Amount will be $200. This is the amount transfered to the bank account when you record the Prepare Bank Deposits transaction. You will need to actually deposit $200 into the bank account to reconcile with the Bank Deposit transaction.

Please let me know if you need further help.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.