Forum Discussion

DL9
User
3 months ago

Tax Return Issue - HELP repayment not shown in tax estimate

Hi,

We have a foreign resident client who has foreign income and has HELP debt. We have entered the relevant figures, however the tax estimate is not calculating for HELP repayment.

Can you please assist on how to fix the issue?

Thanks,

4 Replies

Shella_A
    MYOB Moderator

Hi DL9,

Welcome to the Community Forum!

You may need to complete the non-resident foreign income schedule (FI) in MYOB. This is an ATO schedule lodged with an individual return and is used for a foreign resident who has an outstanding HECS-HELP or TSL loan with the Australian Government. Checking the right tax scale will help you fix this issue. This helpful article about adding an employee provides more information and instructions on how to fix this. Also, it might be best to seek assistance from your accounting advisor when doing this.

Feel free to post again anytime you require further assistance. 

If my response has answered your inquiry, please click "Accept as Solution" to help other users find this information.

Kind regards,
    Shella

DL9
      User

Hi Shella,

I can confirm I have filled-out the non-resident foreign income schedule (FI) in MYOB. However, it is still not calculating the HELP repayment. Is there any other reason why this has happened?

Thanks,

Earl_HD
        MYOB Moderator

Hi DL9,

Thanks for your response. If it's not calculating, that would depends on the pay cycle on how much the're being paid the tax table you have selected. You can view the tax table selected by the employee on the employees record: Card File > Card List > Drill into Employee Card > Payroll Details > Taxes 

If you are unsure as to which tax table you should be using, you can check with the ATO or their financial advisor. We cannot provide advice to a customer on what tax table they should be using for an employee. 

Feel free to post again, we're happy to help!

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Regards, 
        Earl

• Thanks, Earl!

I think I may have found the issue. Would you be able to explain on this table and how to update it? I tried to change to Level 1, but when I reopen the return, it will go back to Level 4.

Thanks for all the help!