Forum Discussion

Learoy
Experienced Cover User
8 months ago
Solved

Customer Refund

Hello All,   We have a couple of old customers who have paid their invoices twice. The overpayment amount is sitting in Returns & Credits.  I have been unable to contact the customers to pay them ...
    Princess_R
    8 months ago

Hi Learoy,

Thank you for your response.

If you can't reach the customer for the refund to be processed and if they don't have any open invoices, you can just leave and hold the credit as unapplied and apply it to the new invoices in the future. However, in your case, if you want to remove this credit from the Return and Credit tab, you might opt to journal the refunds to an asset account if the refunds are expected to be claimed in the future or to a liability account if you're holding the refunds for specific purposes. You may also try your second option, which is creating a new invoice with the same amount and applying the credit note.

I recommend checking with your accountant about recording this to ensure that you're allocating the transaction to the correct account.

Please let me know how you get along and if you require any further assistance with this. I'm here to help in any way I can.

Cheers,

Princess