Forum Discussion

RandIEwing
Contributing User
10 months ago

Invoice Portal showing outstanding balance for closed invoice

Hello we have a few customers who show outstanding balances 0.01 against old invoices.  The invoice is closed and the invoice detail shows zero balance outstanding, yet they are still open in the To Do List - Accounts Receivable.

is there any way that we can close these invoices so they don't appear as outstanding any longer, thank you.

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Leneth_A
    MYOB Moderator

Hi RandIEwing

Thanks for your post and welcome here to the Community Forum. Thank you for informing us about your concern. We are sorry that you are encountering issues with the outstanding balances of the old invoices. We appreciate your patience and understanding on this matter. 

The To-Do List >> Accounts Payable is a list of all open purchases within the company file. If you do have a transaction listed in that window you should have a corresponding purchase transaction in the Purchase Register >> Open Purchases tab. Note: If the To-Do List transaction is dated in the past, you may have to update the date filter to show that transaction in the Purchase Register. 

In terms of closing off that, I would be asking myself did that entered transaction occur? i.e., did you purchase the goods or services from the supplier? Was it entered by mistake? If it should be listed, why is it still outstanding i.e., have you forgotten to pay that supplier? Have you incorrectly entered a payment transaction for a different supplier or transaction? By asking these questions you would be able to ascertain what went on and what is the best way forward for that transaction to close it and remove it from the To Do List. 

For example, if payment is still required, you would look at paying that amount to the supplier and then entering a Pay Bills transaction to reflect that, thus closing the bill. 

If the transaction was entered by mistake, or was closed through a different transaction (i.e., Spend Money was entered rather than Pay Bills) the Bill is in a closed financial year and thus cannot be deleted. As such, you would be looking at opening that bill and going Edit >> Reverse Purchase and recording the reversal. This will generate a debit note for that supplier, which can be seen via the Returns and Debits Tab of the Purchase Register. From there you can highlight the transaction and apply it back, using the Apply to Purchase option, to the outstanding purchase to close it.  

Please do not hesitate to post again if you need help in the future. 

If my response has answered your enquiry, please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information. 

Cheers, 
    Leneth