Forum Discussion

BJ_Werder
Experienced User
9 months ago
Solved

Employee returning to work 6 months after resigning.

Hello. We have a staff member who resigned 6 months ago in the previous financial year but will be starting back with us in the next couple of weeks. I have seen the "Reinstating an Employee" guide in the help centre so will follow the steps in that but is there a requirement for them to complete a new Tax File Number declaration given that if I'm using their old card, I can't send them a Self-onboarding request as they are not technically a new employee? I read on a previous thread in the community forum that said "Are you aware that the ATO expects that someone returning after 3 months is a new employee?". Does this just update with the ATO when their first pay run is submitted?

• Hi BJ_Werder,

Thank you so much for your post and I am sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I really appreciate your patience and understanding about this issue, and I do apologize for the delayed response. If the employee card file remains the same, you can remove the termination date and clear the employee's termination status in STP. There's no need to re-onboard the employee since you can still utilize the existing employee card file, which retains the employee's TFN declaration.

The TFN declaration will be sent once you've processed the first pay run for that employee.

Please do let me know how you go on this.
    Regards,
    Earl

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Earl_HD
    MYOB Moderator

Hi BJ_Werder,

Thank you so much for your post and I am sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I really appreciate your patience and understanding about this issue, and I do apologize for the delayed response. If the employee card file remains the same, you can remove the termination date and clear the employee's termination status in STP. There's no need to re-onboard the employee since you can still utilize the existing employee card file, which retains the employee's TFN declaration.

The TFN declaration will be sent once you've processed the first pay run for that employee.

Please do let me know how you go on this.
    Regards,
    Earl

BJ_Werder
      Experienced User

Further to the below, I removed the employees termination date but did not clear the termination status in STP as he was terminated in the previous financial year (terminated 31/03/23, recommenced 07/09/23). We have since done a pay run with this employee however it was accepted with errors. The error says "Cessation date cannot be before the Commencement Date". When I went into the Employee terminations, it now shows him in the 2023/24 FY as terminated. I assume I just undo this financial year one? Would that then remove the previous financial year termination also?

Earl_HD
        MYOB Moderator

Hi BJ_Werder,

Thanks for reaching out. If you removed the employee's termination date but encountered the error "Cessation date cannot be before the Commencement Date" and noticed that the employee is now shown as terminated in the 2023/24 financial year, you can follow these steps to resolve the issue. First, undo the financial year termination, addressing the incorrect update for the 2023/24 financial year without affecting the previous year's termination. Then, verify the employee's termination date and commencement date to ensure accuracy. Finally, proceed with the pay run after correcting the termination status, ensuring that all employee details, including their termination and recommencement dates, are accurately entered.

Please do let us know if you have further queries and one of us will be happy to assist you.
        Regards,
        Earl