Forum Discussion

Kylie_Think
Cover User
2 years ago
Solved

Payroll details > Personal Details > Employment Category

We are a labour hire company, all of our staff are casual employees. 

What is the use of the Employment category tab?

We need to decide whether to mark them as temporary or permanent.

Being casual staff, we assume temporary, but we also have had issues marking the incorrect tabs in the past for ATO reasons, all of our staff looked like contractors, which they are not. This created a huge mess at EOFY which we would like to avoid. 

• Hi Kylie_Think,

Thanks for your post. 

Generally speaking, you would be selecting 'Permanent' for your casual employees. Clients usually select 'Temporary' for their contractors. 

If you had any further queries, please do reach out. 

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Sam_R
    Former Staff

Hi Kylie_Think,

Thanks for your post. 

Generally speaking, you would be selecting 'Permanent' for your casual employees. Clients usually select 'Temporary' for their contractors. 

If you had any further queries, please do reach out. 

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Kylie_Think
      Cover User

Thank you, I also wanted to know what is the use of the Employment category tab? Is this for STP purposes, or just for reporting purposes? (why is it mandatory and not optional?).

Sam_R
        Former Staff

Hi Kylie_Think,

This would be used for your software's payroll reports, however, the Employment Basis field would be for STP purposes (full-time, part-time, casual, etc).

Do reach out if you had any further queries.