Eric_T
Cover User
10 years ago
New

User Access: Restrict access to payroll should flow through to electronic payments and bank register

Guys

i've restricted use from the payroll area & that appears to work just fine.

payroll is paid via electronic payments and the net pay for all staff shows up there.

so i have to switch off access to electronic payments too - this is more than i wish to do.

suggest restricting payroll access includes the associated electronic payments only.

thanks

'Payroll User Access"

23 Comments

• It is now July 2017 and this is still an issue. 

Is MYOB considering a solution to this security issue?

mumow
    Experienced Cover User

We are about to start a new employee who will require considerable MYOB access. Nevertheless I have been instructed by my controlling board of directors to restrict ALL payroll access. This is impossible with the current MYOB. Seriously thinking of looking into another financial program. The current privacy security is atrocious! PLEASE fix this problem!!

AmyR
    Cover User

Has this issue in MYOB been fixed yet? It has just come up for one of my clients and I am trying to find a way around it.

mumow
    Experienced Cover User

Ridiculous isn't it? I have just employed a very competent bookkeeper but because we do not want personal payroll details available, I have to restrict so much of MYOB it makes her feel "untrusted" & the software is not able to be used adequately. MUST BE FIXED!!!

Eric_T wrote:

Guys

i've restricted use from the payroll area & that appears to work just fine.

payroll is paid via electronic payments and the net pay for all staff shows up there.

so i have to switch off access to electronic payments too - this is more than i wish to do.

suggest restricting payroll access includes the associated electronic payments only.

thanks

'Payroll User Access"

• Admin staff have access to the bank for reconciliation purpose

I have blocked access to staff from the payroll section- and I process the pays via an ABA file to the payroll clearing account- and then journal to the bank account

It does not matter if they see a bulk amount for payroll- but now I discover they are able to open the payroll clearing account which does give individual details of employees pays-

There is currently no way we can block this from happening-  so it is a bit pointless blocking the payroll as they can get the info anyway?

This is not good-   any ideas please

Rose

• I have locked the payroll function in MYOB Premier but the wages still show in the cash disbursement report. It would be an idea not to have anything to do with payroll showing in reports to people other than the once authorised in payroll.

Feziona1
    Experienced User

Can an update be provided for limiting user access to payroll information within user modules.

At this stage payroll information is too readily shared across various functions within a business and does not allow for seperation of duties and privacy concerns. 

I would think this would be a major issue for most small business and could easily be recitifed.

JRG
    Cover User

I have found exactly the same issue - Payroll is confidential and in MYOB 19.1 we never had an issue at all.  Why can this feature not be part of AccountRight? Unfortunately, we may have to look at using another system for payroll or outsourcing payroll if we cannot resolve this.  Logically, the confidential feature was available in 19.1,  so I am hopeful that it can be included in AccountRight.  Please can this be corrected so that MYOB AccountRight is a system that can be used with confidence by all businesses.

• It is disappointing that even though you can remove payroll access for a user, the user can still view wage details in other areas within MYOB.  If they have access to the accounts list they can drill down on the wages account and view payroll details.  If they have access to reconcile accounts or electronic funds they can also view wage transactions there as well depending on how payroll is processed.  They are unable to click into the actual transaction but they can still see what each employee is paid.

I would have thought from a privacy perspective that this would have been a loop hole that would have been closed by MYOB long ago.  To actually ensure the privacy of staff payments you must also restrict other functionality that limits the user.  This makes if difficult to have staff view what they need to, and also continue to be productive in their role.  I hope MYOB will address this concern soon.  With privacy laws as they are, how can employers keep this personal information private when they use MYOB without making it unworkable.

ARAP_2020
    Experienced User

MYOB needs to review the way the permissions are set up and change them to be more secure.  I have an employee who DOES NOT have access to payroll, yet, they can access payroll information from having access to the accounts list. 

This means that confidential information is no longer confidential.

They are the bookkeeper, they need access to the information in the rest of the accounts.

PLEASE MAKE PERMISSIONS SO THAT THEY LINK TO THE AFFECTED ACCOUNTS.