Forum Discussion

jyoung66
Contributing User
4 years ago
Solved

MYOB Chart of accounts extract with heirarchy levels

It is possible to export the account information to a text file and get the Parent / Child relationships?

I know you get headers and non headers but you cannot tell what is a child of what with this.

If you export to PDF you get indenting which is useful to achieve what I want if I convert the PDF to an Excel sheet, but I am trying to automate this

I want to put MYOB source things into Power BI / other business intelligence tools

• Hi jyoung66 

The export of accounts from AccountRight using the Import and Export Assistant would list the accounts within the company file. Header accounts would have an "H" listed in the Header accounts field to denote if its a header account. if that is not listed then it would be a detail account. 

In terms of getting a relationship export, such as how it appears on the Account List window, your best bet would be to navigate to Accounts>>Accounts List, right-click on the table and select Copy List to Clipboard. You will then be able to paste that into Excel or Word or a similar association, this will add in a series of spaces to those detial accounts to denote the indenting. Alternatively, running the Account List [Summary] report and sending it to Excel would be a potential way you could do it as well.

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi jyoung66 

If you want to automate your reporting from MYOB including the account structure, can I suggest you look at some of the MYOB Addon Business Intelligence and reporting tools that already link directly to your MYOB data using the API rather than be manually exporting to excel to then have to manually upload into other tools.

As an example our Business Intelligence Add-on BI4Cloud accesses MYOB GL account data including the MYOB GL Headers  then can report flexibly at the Header or Detail levels.

If you do still want to export to excel to use elswhere that is able to be done easily too. See example below I have set this up to show the First column picking up the MYOB GL Header then the second column are the individual GL accounts that make that up.  You could also have the headers subtotal afer each group of accounts however  I set this up with the header on the rows as that allow you more flexibility in Excel for further manipulation.

More Flexible Groupings

Many of our clients actualy find the GL Headers/hierachy that you can setup in MYOB too restrictive.  

So we have additional funcitonaitiy in BI4Cloud in our Cool Stuff version that will allow users to:

All details and a 14 day Free Trial are available on our website bi4cloud.com.

jyoung66
      Contributing User

I really dont want to be locked into a paid third party tool, I was hoping that MYOB would make it easier to extract directly and use, more and more people will want to self service with Power BI directly and free. I will explore the API directly myself and see what is available

Thanks

Steven_M
        Former Staff

Hi jyoung66 

The export of accounts from AccountRight using the Import and Export Assistant would list the accounts within the company file. Header accounts would have an "H" listed in the Header accounts field to denote if its a header account. if that is not listed then it would be a detail account. 

In terms of getting a relationship export, such as how it appears on the Account List window, your best bet would be to navigate to Accounts>>Accounts List, right-click on the table and select Copy List to Clipboard. You will then be able to paste that into Excel or Word or a similar association, this will add in a series of spaces to those detial accounts to denote the indenting. Alternatively, running the Account List [Summary] report and sending it to Excel would be a potential way you could do it as well.