Forum Discussion

SharonCC
Experienced Cover User
5 years ago
Solved

Payroll Tax not balancing

When  I run  the Amount by Category (Payroll Tax) my wages total $136,000 then when I run the Payroll Tax it is only showing $125,000  I have check that all wage catergories are ticked, I have checked my date range.  I can't work out why this is out of balance.  Any suggestions?  TIA

• Hi SharonCC 

You've done the right thing by deleting her termination date and changing her Employment Basis to casual. Once you remove the termination date you will see the entitlements in the entitlement reports as they are only 'hidden' so that you comply with record keeping laws.  The available hours should be zero though.

When you have a difference between the Payroll Activity and Register reports it means that a change has been made to the Pay History in the Employee Card.  The Activity report gets it's data from payruns processed, the Register gets it's data from the employee card. That's why you should always print and check both reports.  

What we need to find out is what happened to the termination pay in the employee card. It might be worthwhile to restore a backup to a time between the termination and when you reinstated her. You could check her Pay History in the backup to see if it's correct.

Let me know how you go

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi SharonCC 

I would start by running a few extra reports and checking the wages total on those. You can run the P&L, Payroll Activity and Payroll Register, these should all be the same. I would be looking for a category that has different amount(s). 

Please feel free to send me screenshots by private message 

SharonCC
      Experienced Cover User

Thanks for your reply Tracey, so my P&L balances with my payroll activity however my payroll register is out.  I have narrowed this down to one employee.  She was terminated in early Oct (termination pay was processed) then she returned late Oct to do some casual work.  I deleted her termination date & changed her to casual and processed her hours, I think this is my mistake right here!  The termination pay does not show in the payroll register, this would also explain why her leave entitlements are appearing again also. I've no idea how I go about fixing this and getting the figures to be recorded in the register.  Any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly apprecicated.    

Tracey_H
        Former Staff

Hi SharonCC 

You've done the right thing by deleting her termination date and changing her Employment Basis to casual. Once you remove the termination date you will see the entitlements in the entitlement reports as they are only 'hidden' so that you comply with record keeping laws.  The available hours should be zero though.

When you have a difference between the Payroll Activity and Register reports it means that a change has been made to the Pay History in the Employee Card.  The Activity report gets it's data from payruns processed, the Register gets it's data from the employee card. That's why you should always print and check both reports.  

What we need to find out is what happened to the termination pay in the employee card. It might be worthwhile to restore a backup to a time between the termination and when you reinstated her. You could check her Pay History in the backup to see if it's correct.

Let me know how you go