25 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

25Posts

3Kudos

2Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Salary Sacrifice Super to a cotractor

Hi I have a contractor who wants some of their income as salary sacrifice. I have already set up her as an employee ans has been paying SGC super.  I just processed her first Salary Sacrifice/

I thought I set her up correctly and processed it, but on Paryoll Reporting her record only shows Superannuation Guarantee on YTD (incouding SSS), not SSS separately.  Can someone tell me: should SSS be shown separately in this occasion?  If so, what can I change so that the report shows 2 separate super amounts?  Urgent reply would be great!  I got some screen shots to show how I set her up.

7 REPLIES 7
Doreen_P
MYOB Moderator
3,418 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

3,418Posts

177Kudos

384Solutions

Re: Salary Sacrifice Super to a cotractor

Hi, @HDAdmin

Thanks for your post, and we're sorry for the delayed response.

If you wish to process a salary sacrifice super for your contractor, you will need to add the contractor as an employee first and enter their super details. Once done, create a payroll category for the salary sacrifice. This way, it will allow the categories to be separated. However, if the salary sacrifice is showing in one payroll category only, you can reverse it and then reprocess the pay run so that the super will be separated. More information regarding setting up a super salary sacrifice is available in our Help Articles: Set up salary sacrifice superannuation and Changing a recorded pay.

Feel free to post again anytime if you require further assistance. 

If my response has answered your inquiry, please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users in finding this information.

Best regards,

Doreen

MYOB Community Forum

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Accept it as a Solution
Leave a to tell others

HDAdmin
Experienced User
25 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

25Posts

3Kudos

2Solutions

Hi Doreen, 

As I didn't get a reply for a few days, I contacted MYOB by phone.  Jessie checked my SSS process in MYOB and he told me I did the right thing.  He suggested to send another post to product ideas for MYOB Business/Essentials, which I did, which I wrote:

I pay contractors as suppliers for their income and employees for their super guarantee amount. 
Last month one of them wanted Salary Sacrifice for part of her pay. 
After I processed her super pay as an employee, I noticed in her Payroll
Reporting her salary sacrifice super was included in Super Guarantee,
not separate category as SSS.  I checked with MYOB help line that the
way I processed her SGC and SSS in MYOB was correct.

When I set up an expense a/c for SSS for this employee in MYOB, the ATO reporting Category is defaulted as Superannuation Guarntee and I can't change.  Shouldn't the category be Salary Sacrifice and RESC to reflect it on Payroll Reporting so it will show SGC and SSS separately (even though she is an cotractor)?   Please let me know what you think.

I attach the screen shot of what I did in MYOB.

PXL_20240222_000604727~2.jpg
gavin12345
Ultimate User
5,030 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

5,030Posts

914Kudos

640Solutions

Hi @HDAdmin 

Aside from the issues you are having with assigning the payroll category 'Salary Sacrifice Super MH' to the ATO Reporting category of 'Salary Sacrifice and RESC', just letting you know that if the payee (covers employees and contractors) is set to an Income Type of Voluntary Withholding or Labor Hire, you will NOT be able to report salary sacrifice for this payee. This is because according to the ATO, a contractor cannot have employee type benefits such as Leave, Allowances, Overtime, Bonuses, ETP, or Salary Sacrifice. 

The ATO seems to be using STP Reporting to crack down on what is in their view an employment relationship 'dressed' up as a contractor arrangement. Given the complexities of this issue, I would strongly recommend discussing the entire issue with your accountant or tax adviser, including how to report the various income components.

FYI - it could be the MYOB developers coded the software this way to prevent your STP Report being rejected by the ATO as not complying with their specifications. They didn't do this in other places, but you never know.

Regards

Gavin

(gavinw222@gmail.com)
Doreen_P
MYOB Moderator
3,418 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

3,418Posts

177Kudos

384Solutions

Hi, @HDAdmin

Regarding this, it would still be best to speak with your accountant, as they can provide you with instructions on how to record the salary sacrifice of your contractor accordingly. Please feel free to post again if you encounter any issues. We are here to assist.

Best regards,

Doreen

MYOB Community Forum

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Accept it as a Solution
Leave a to tell others

HDAdmin
Experienced User
25 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

25Posts

3Kudos

2Solutions

Thanks Gavin.  I will check with my accountant.

HDAdmin
Experienced User
25 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

25Posts

3Kudos

2Solutions

Thanks Doreen for your advice too.

HDAdmin
Experienced User
25 Posts
Experienced User
Experienced User

25Posts

3Kudos

2Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi Gavin,

I spoke to my accountant and she said as long as the Payroll Summary picks them up separately (which it does), it should be OK.

I rang ATO before contacting MYOB, and they said SSS should be separate in Payroll Reporting, then I panicked.  Person I talked to may have be from superannuation related department and not necessarily expert in Payroll Reporting.

MYOB setting may well be due to compliance issue.

I really appreciate your detailed comment.  Thanks!

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post