Forum Discussion

TheRob
Experienced User
3 years ago
Solved

Add internal note to invoice that isn't sticky, and update due date after retention has been held

We have an issue where some of our invoices are subject to retention and I don't find out the details until after a short payment has been made. I need to be able to do two things"

1. Record internal notes, however if I use the Comments field and don't print on invoice templates, I have read that it is a sticky field so next time I raise an invoice, the previous comment will be there, which has nothing to do with a new sale.

2. Record the new due date for the balance. Is the only way to do that so it doesn't show up as overdue in the ageing reports, or disappear off my outstanding invoice list altogether, by changing the terms on the invoice to reflect the balance due date? I looked at the recommended approach of creating a liability account, entering the retention on the invoice as a negative posted to the new account etc. but that means I need a whole new due date tracking mechanism.

• Hi TheRob 

Internal notes are not something that can be added to sale transactions within AccountRight. As you have rightly indicated, using the Comments would be your best option. However, as you have also mentioned, comments are retained from the previously entered sale if you keep the Enter Sales window open between invoices. In saying that, the Comment is actually pulled from the customer's card so what you could do would be to navigate to the Customer's card enter a full stop/period in that field. What this will do is force the comment to be that full stop for that customer. So it will override the previously entered comment so you are only left with the comment that you enter or that full stop.

In terms of due dates, an invoice can only have one due date. So if you are needing to change that for any reason it would be a matter of updating the terms on that transaction to update that Due date. Alternatively, as you have mentioned, crediting off the invoice and then re-recording it with a new date.

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi TheRob 

Internal notes are not something that can be added to sale transactions within AccountRight. As you have rightly indicated, using the Comments would be your best option. However, as you have also mentioned, comments are retained from the previously entered sale if you keep the Enter Sales window open between invoices. In saying that, the Comment is actually pulled from the customer's card so what you could do would be to navigate to the Customer's card enter a full stop/period in that field. What this will do is force the comment to be that full stop for that customer. So it will override the previously entered comment so you are only left with the comment that you enter or that full stop.

In terms of due dates, an invoice can only have one due date. So if you are needing to change that for any reason it would be a matter of updating the terms on that transaction to update that Due date. Alternatively, as you have mentioned, crediting off the invoice and then re-recording it with a new date.

TheRob
      Experienced User

Thanks Steven_M ,

That's what I thought would be the answer but I hoped that there may have been an alternative.

Appreciate your guidance

Rob