Cover User
New Zealand
Cover User

3Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

How to handle an overpayment of a sales invoice

A customer has overpaid an invoice and wishes it to be held in credit against a future invoice.  How do I handle the receipt of the overpayment, as "Receive Payment" cannot record an unbalanced transaction.  Do I enter the additional amount paid as a "Receive money" and create a credit note manually?  Or is there a simpler way of this, please?

4 REPLIES 4
ROGMichelle
Experienced Cover User
27 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

27Posts

13Kudos

0Solutions

Re: How to handle an overpayment of a sales invoice

I haven't done this in sales before, but in pay bills you can put the amount actually paid at the top and then overwrite the amount on the invoice line below with the same amount, which automatically creates a credit memo for either application or refund down the track. I imagine it would be the same in sales... worth a try!

Princess_R
MYOB Moderator
3,135 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

3,135Posts

116Kudos

486Solutions

Hi @Heather-R,

Thank you for your post, and my apologies for the delay in responding back to your query.

When a customer overpays an invoice, you would record a Receive Payments transaction for the total amount paid, including the overpayment. This automatically creates credit for the overpaid amount, which can be refunded or applied to another invoice. For further information on how to do this, please refer to this Help article, Customer Overpayments.

Please let me know if you need further help with this.

If my response has answered your inquiry, please click "Accept as Solution" to help other users find this information.

I'd also like to thank @ROGMichelle for her prompt response and for providing insights regarding handling overpayments. Thank you for your support.

Cheers,

Princess

Heather-R
3 Posts
Cover User
New Zealand
Cover User

3Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Princess,

Unfortunately I have tried that, but I get an error saying, "An unbalanced transaction may not be recorded" and there it ends with no credit note being automatically raised to cover the overpayment.  Any other ideas, please?

Princess_R
MYOB Moderator
3,135 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

3,135Posts

116Kudos

486Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @Heather-R,

Thank you for your response.

The error message, "An unbalanced transaction may not be recorded," suggests that there's a discrepancy between the amount applied column and the amount received. For further information, please refer to the Help article: Customer Overpayments. Please navigate to the bottom of the page to find the FAQ section for detailed information about the error.

Please feel free to reach out if you require further assistance.

If my response has answered your inquiry, please click "Accept as Solution" to help other users find this information.

Cheers,

Princess

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post