Unable to modify previously recorded Inventory Adjustment - Error despite no changes

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
serkles
Contributing User
8 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

8Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Unable to modify previously recorded Inventory Adjustment - Error despite no changes

I am trying to modify cost prices in an Inventory Adjustment that was made weeks ago. The problem is that when I open the inventory adjustment, I am unable to resave it due to an error "The value of your inventory may not be less than zero (Item Number ########)". 

I understand what this error means but in my case it does not make sense. Here is why...

If I simply open the inventory adjustment, and simply add a fullstop to the memo of the inventory adjustment, witout actually changing any values in the adjustment, I still receive the error. 

The error applies to items that have a negative value that result in the item having 0 items on hand. There are many items on the list that become 0 due to this inventory adjustmet because we made this adjustment to fix auto build issues but this is all irrelevant. All the items on the list that become 0 stock due to this adjustment, have the correct qty values to do this, hence why the adjustment was able to be recorded in the first place. 

I believe the issue is related to decimal places that exist in the database. So MYOB thinks that the adjustments are bringing quantities of items below zero, when this is not the case. The qty adjustments all equal 0 exactly, which is why it was able to record the adjustment in the first place, weeks ago. 

I have called MYOB twice regarding this issue with a total time on the phone of about 5 hours. Both times, some scripts were run, and diagnostics showed no issues, yet the issue/error is still appearing. The person actually hung up on me while I was on hold after trying to fix the problem for 3 hours. I didn't have time to call back and wait another 45 minutes in the que, not knowing if they could even fix the problem after 5 hours already on the phone.

I do not know what else to do so I am posting here hoping that someone can help me fix this problem. 

Let me emphasize that the error is not related to what I am changing on the inventory adjustment. If I simply open and save the adjustment it works, because it is not recognizing any actual change. If I change something in the memo so that it does see a change, then try to save it, the error appears. This is what makes no sense because if I recorded it weeks ago and it worked, why is not working now?

Thank you in advance

10 REPLIES 10
gavin12345
Ultimate User
5,000 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

5,000Posts

910Kudos

635Solutions

Re: Unable to modify previously recorded Inventory Adjustment - Error despite no changes

Hi @serkles 

The inventory value has likely changed since you originally posted this adjustment. This is likely why you cannot change it - things have changed in the background since. Look at the current item count and value on the Item Profile. Then, rather than trying to change an existing inventory adjustment journal, create a new one.

If this doesn't work, provide more details, like current value and what it is exactly the inventory adjustment is trying to do.

Regards

Gavin

(gavinw222@gmail.com)
serkles
Contributing User
8 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

8Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Re: Unable to modify previously recorded Inventory Adjustment - Error despite no changes

Hi Gavin,

Thank you for your response. 

The inventory values for the items in question are all 0. It was this inventory adjustment that made them 0 in the first place. 

The reason why I am thinking that there is something else going on like a bug or something, is that as I mentioned, I am not trying to change these values. I am simply opening an old inventory adjustment and saving it again. Even if I do not adjust anything, except the text in the memo, the error appears and it doesn't allow me to save it. 

All I want to do is add costing to some other items in this inventory adjustment. So basically there are a bunch of items that are becoming 0, and there are others that are being added to. I am simply trying to change the cost values of some of the ones being added to. I am not touching the ones that are becoming 0, but the error is saying these items (that are becoming 0) cannot be less than 0. They are already 0 and became 0 as a result of this inventory adjustment. 

Correct me if I am wrong here....
Let's say you have an item with 10 qty on hand. You then create an inventory adjustment, and make this item -10, and record it. Now the item is 0. If you then open this inventory adjustment and save it again, it should be able to save since when you open the adjustment, it is "techincally" adding the 10 back on when you open it, and then you save it, and it takes the 10 back off, so there should be no issue. Is this not how it works?

If that is how it works, then there is some other problem happening with my account. 

Thanks again

gavin12345
Ultimate User
5,000 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

5,000Posts

910Kudos

635Solutions

Hi @serkles 

Yes what you have outlined is how it is supposed to work.

However, MYOB's inventory module still has lots of bugs in it and this might include not correctly reversing before re-applying the adjustment. This is why I recommend using a new inventory adjustment for the specific change.

Another issue which could prevent correct reversal and re-application of the adjustment is if you have used  the Received Items function and have sold any of the Items since the original purchase.

Regards

Gavin

(gavinw222@gmail.com)
serkles
Contributing User
8 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

8Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Gavin, 

Ok, so if I wanted to do another inventory adjustment to add costs to some products, how would this work exactly?

If I want to simply adjust the cost of what is on hand, how can I do this for items that are already on hand, without modifying a previous inventory adjustment? 

Would I remove it first, then add it again with the cost?

-10 SKU My Product $0
+10 SKU My Product $100 

Thank you

gavin12345
Ultimate User
5,000 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

5,000Posts

910Kudos

635Solutions

Hi @serkles 

An inventory adjustments is just like any other transaction. If you have 10 items and add 10 with an IAJ you will have 20. If you them do an IAJ to add 10 you will have 30. Same with value adjustments - they are cumulative, adding to or subtracting from the current value - they do no replace the current on hand amount or value. Always review the current On hand and Value from the Item Profile screen - ( however this is not always the correct amt).

FYI if you have 0 on hand, the value must be also $0.

Regards

Gavin

(gavinw222@gmail.com)
serkles
Contributing User
8 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

8Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Gavin, 

Ok, well then I still have a problem. 

You see, I am trying to change the current value on hand. I have items in stock, but when I open the inventory items in question, I see $0 for Current Value and Average Cost. Here's a screenshot...

MYOB Screenshot 2023-04-12 164237.png

Now please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the only way to add value to a stock on hand, by adding it when the items go into the system via an IAJ. In fact, if I click on the arrow beside Current Value, it takes me to a list of inventory adjustments, where you can see when this stock came into the system, and that it was brought in with $0. This is the IAJ I am trying to modify to fix this.

MYOB-Screenshot-2023-04-12-2.png

So if I can't edit the old IAJ, and I can't add value to stock on hand via a new IAJ, what option is left?

Sorry if I am missing something here.

Thanks

gavin12345
Ultimate User
5,000 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

5,000Posts

910Kudos

635Solutions

Hi @serkles 

I can't see any of your images until a moderator 'unblocks' them. Perhaps email me directly with the pictures, that will be quicker than waiting for an AI moderator.

The most common way to add inventory is via a Purchase invoice or bill, the most common way to reduce inventory is via a Sales Invoice. Inventory Adjustments Journals can also be used to adjust, add, edit, delete, though this should only be for special circumstances such as to fix mistakes or when setting up a business.

If current on hand count for an item is 0, there should not be any reason why you can't create a new inventory adjustment journal and change the on hand count to 10. There are various Support Notes here on the MYOB Support centre - search for inventory.

Regards

Gavin

(gavinw222@gmail.com)
serkles
Contributing User
8 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

8Posts

1Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Gavin, 

I sent you an email with the screenshots as requested. 

"If current on hand count for an item is 0, there should not be any reason why you can't create a new inventory adjustment journal and change the on hand count to 10. "

Yes of course, I understand this, but this is not the problem.

I am not trying to add items. I need to change the cost of items that have already been added in. That is the primary goal here. As mentioned, I have items that were entered through an inventory adjustment a few weeks ago. I am simply trying to go back and add cost values to those items. 

As you can see in my email, these items now have a stock level, but no value on hand. Please tell me how I can add a value on hand to those items. 

Thank you

gavin12345
Ultimate User
5,000 Posts
Ultimate User
Australia
Ultimate User

5,000Posts

910Kudos

635Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @serkles 

Please carefully re-read all of the posts above. Everything I have written about Inventory Adjustment Journals applies equally to values as it does to the on hand count. So:

"If current on hand count for an item is 0, there should not be any reason why you can't create a new inventory adjustment journal and change the on hand count to 10."

can also be read as

"If current value for an item is 0, there should not be any reason why you can't create a new inventory adjustment journal and change the value to 10."

Regards

Gavin

(gavinw222@gmail.com)

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post