Payroll overpayment

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Ly
Experienced Cover User
41 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

41Posts

6Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Payroll overpayment

Good morning,

I would like to seek advice as how to fix overpayment on final pay please.

I paid 'unused annual leave 288 hours' and 'unused long service leave 454 hours' but mistakenly also paid 'annual leave 288 hours' and 'annual leave loading 288 hours'. Please advise how to fix it. As a result, an employee gets double payment in 'annual leave hours'. I put fortnightly pay period, I am wondering how tax withheld would be affected or it can be sorted out when she does her tax return 2022-2023.

Your prompt response would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Ly

Good morning everyone,

Following my post above, I reversed the pay and reprocessed the correct one as advised by MYOB support team but the employee's tax accountant said the figures do not match with his end. Please find attached all files here for your reference. Please assist to find out the errors.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

Ly

10 REPLIES 10
Ly
Experienced Cover User
41 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

41Posts

6Kudos

0Solutions

Final pay overpayment

Good morning,

I would like to seek advice as how to fix overpayment on final pay please.

I paid 'unused annual leave 288 hours' and 'unused long service leave 454 hours' but mistakenly also paid 'annual leave 288 hours' and 'annual leave loading 288 hours'. Please advise how to fix it. As a result, an employee gets double payment in 'annual leave hours'. I put fortnightly pay period, I am wondering how tax withheld would be affected or it can be sorted out when she does her tax return 2022-2023.

Your prompt response would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Ly

Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Re: Payroll overpayment

Hi @Ly 

Thanks for your post. If the wage amount was transferred to the employee's bank account, how you handle an overpayment depends on whether the employee is repaying the overpaid amount. If they are not repaying the amount you would leave it as is because that is the amount the employee received. If they are repaying the amount, process a negative pay for the overpaid amount. This will reduce the employee's YTD amounts and you can match the deposit in the bank account with the negative pay transaction.

If the wage amount was not paid to the employee's bank account, you would reverse the incorrect pay and re-process with the correct amounts. This would automatically update the YTD amounts in STP.

If the YTD amounts are not correct in STP, process a $0 pay to update those amounts. 

Fixing a payroll overpayment or underpayment

Please let me know if you need further help.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Ly
Experienced Cover User
41 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

41Posts

6Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @Tracey_H 

Thanks for your reply. I did as per your advice below but found the discrepancy as attached.

Gross payments figures: $37,026.88 (Summary of payments) vs Wages $83,688.87 (Payroll Register/Activity)

Also the Salary Sacrifice should be $15,886.00 but it is only $12,220.00 in Summary of payments.

Please advise.

Kind regards,

Ly

Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Hi @Ly 

Looking at those screenshots the Summary of payments report matches the Payroll register and activity reports.

Total Wages on the Payroll register and activity reports is $83,688.87, this includes all wage payroll categories.

The Summary of payments reports the amounts according to the ATO reporting category assigned to the payroll category. If you add all the ATO reporting categories that are wage payroll categories you've got:

Gross payments $37,026.88 plus Unused leave on termination $41,499.98 plus Paid leave other $5,162.01 equals $83,688.87. So the Summary of payments reconciles with the Payroll activity and register reports.

To assist with reconciling the STP reports and payroll reports run the Payroll summary report in the browser. This report includes the ATO reporting categories so helps with matching the amounts in the payroll reports with the amounts in the STP reports.

The Salary sacrifice amount on all 3 reports is $12,220.00. On the Summary of payments it is reported as Salary sacrifice - other employee benefits. In the Payroll activity and register reports it is reported in the Deductions column as it is a deduction payroll category. These reports show the salary sacrifice amount processed through Process Payroll.

The Account transactions (Accrual) report shows all transactions posted to the selected account so is not a reflection of actual payroll amounts. For example, I processed 3 payruns with salary sacrifice deduction of $300 and I reversed one pay run. So the actual salary sacrifice amount is $600 (2 pay runs):

image.png

The Account transactions (Accrual) report has a total of $900 because that total includes the pay transaction that was reversed. In this screenshot the 3 credits of $300 are the 3 pay runs, CD000006 is the reversal and transaction 231 is the liability payment transaction:

image.png

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Ly
Experienced Cover User
41 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

41Posts

6Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @Tracey_H 

It looks good as we need to add all other leave payments. However, could you please check the attachment as it should be $15,886.00 for the whole FBT year.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Ly

Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @Ly 

The FBT year spans two financial years. In that FBT screenshot you've got:

Financial year 2021/22 - 01/04/2022 - 30/06/2022 $3,666

Financial year 2022/23 - 01/07/2022 - 08/11/2022 $12,220

Total for the FBT year is $15,886

The payroll and STP reports are for this financial year only so are reporting $12,220. 

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Ly
Experienced Cover User
41 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

41Posts

6Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @Tracey_H 

Thank you for the clarification. So when I finalise FY 2022/2023 to report to ATO, it will show on employee's Summary of payments the whole FBT amount of $15,886?

Kind regards,

Ly

Ly
Experienced Cover User
41 Posts
Experienced Cover User
Australia
Experienced Cover User

41Posts

6Kudos

0Solutions

Hi @Tracey_H 

Sorry to be a pain but this is what I mean (please see attached).

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Ly

Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Hi @Ly 

The Summary of payments report only includes payments made in the financial year. If the employee has Reportable fringe benefits amounts (RFBA), these need to be reported separately when finalising STP at the end of financial year. The Help Article, RFBA with STP, has detailed instructions for this. If you're not sure about the RFBA amount to report you will need to check with your accountant.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post