Forum Discussion

Judy01
Trusted Cover User
4 years ago
Solved

Category Reports not showing correct data

I have been using category reports for several months with no problems up until now. The figures fir my 2 categories do not match the total in the balance Sheet. One category seems to be reporting ok but the other category figures are completely wrong. I have ticked the setting to ensure a category must ne chosen for every entry.

What is the fix for this as i have month end accounts to do right now.?

• HI Judy01 

To work out the required transactions that are missing in those category reports you would be looking at comparing the Category Transactions [Accrual] report with that of the Account Transactions [Accrual] report. By comparing these reports it will show you all the transactions record for an account to which you can compare to all transactions recorded for a category. Should these be different you can then investigate the required transactions with respect to the categories.

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi Judy01 

Within AccountRight 2021, category transactions are recorded on the initial transaction, however, will not flow through to secondary transactions involving that category transaction. For example, you can select a category on a Bill, that Bill payment will reflect the category, however, if the payment is set to electronic payments that electronic payment transaction does use the category. As a result, category reports may disagree with that of the overall company file's reports.

In terms of correcting that so the reports match, the only real way to do it is to have a journal entry to the required account with the category and then the opposite transaction without the category. By doing this it will generate the necessary transaction for that category while also canceling out the effect of the transaction on the accounts. Note: There may be some considerations to think about using this journal entry method as it may add potential unwanted transactions to the Prepare Electronic Payments window.

Judy01
      Trusted Cover User

Hello Steven

I have been using Categories for 6 months and this is he first time there has been an issue. Nothing has changed at our end. Tne category report works fine for one division but for the other the figures shown are for the entity as a whole so it is not seperating anything out. There must be a bug somewhere or a way to fix it?

Our Head office in the US requires me to report seperatelt and we each pay our own GST etc but at this stage i cannot get the fugures I need,

Steven_M
        Former Staff

HI Judy01 

To work out the required transactions that are missing in those category reports you would be looking at comparing the Category Transactions [Accrual] report with that of the Account Transactions [Accrual] report. By comparing these reports it will show you all the transactions record for an account to which you can compare to all transactions recorded for a category. Should these be different you can then investigate the required transactions with respect to the categories.