Capital Purchases and Finance in AccountRight

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
ronatbas
Ultimate Partner
4,553 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

4,553Posts

1,304Kudos

723Solutions

Capital Purchases and Finance in AccountRight

HOW TO RECORD CAPITAL PURCHASES AND FINANCE IN ACCOUNTRIGHT

There are many finance options available to purchase capital equipment. Commonly used in Australia are:

• chattel mortgages: ownership of the item transfers to the business when the lending company pays the supplier of the goods.
  • hire purchase: ownership of the goods remain with the lending company until the agreement is paid out.
  • lease agreements: ownership stays with the leasing body and the goods are never owned by the business.
  • personal loans: these loans are usually from those close to the entity (e.g. directors, family or benevolent friends) and can be treated in the same manner as a chattel mortgage.

This article will focus on chattel mortgages as it is the most commonly used within the SME community. It will look at:

• purchase of capital equipment with a long depreciation period (e.g. warehouse racking or workshop machinery)
  • repayments
  • handling purchases of motor vehicles.

PURCHASE OF ITEMS

Prior to recording the purchase transaction in AccountRight, you need to:

1. Assemble all the necessary paperwork – these may include:

• details of the purchase including any relevant serial numbers
  • details of any deposits paid
  • details of the disbursement from the loan document

You should also determine:

• The total cost of the loan
  • The amount of interest payable
  • Establishment fees

2. Discuss with your accountant as to how they would like the items recorded in the Balance Sheet. They may be happy with it being recorded under one of the generic accounts, or they may ask that it be set up as a new account on the Balance Sheet.

• Every capital account must have an account immediately below it to show the depreciation accumulated to date. For example:

1-2901               Machinery At Cost                             CAP

1-2905               Machinery Accum. Depreciation       N-T

Or

1-2910               CNC Bridgeport Mill                            CAP

1-2950               CNC Mill Accum. Depreciation           N-T

• The loan must be established on the chart of accounts with an account called ‘Unexpired Interest’ (see below). This is always set up as a Liability Account (Long Term) and is normally done as a Credit Card type account, so that money can be spent from and received into this account.

2-2100               ABC Loan for CNC Mill                     N-T

2-2105               Unexpired Interest on ABC Loan      N-T

• In AccountRight, you do not receive money from the loan company – the loan is always populated by spending money from it.

Entering the transactions in AccountRight

In the example below, the equipment bill is listed as $89,590.20 with an interest of $12,863.05, totalling $102,453.25. The loan is to be paid back over 48 payments – 47 payments of $2137.57 and one payment of $1987.46.

1. Create a card for the finance company. In our example, we’ll call it ‘ABC Loan’ .
  2. Create a purchase transaction for the equipment ($89,590.20), bearing in mind the following:
  • Enter in detailed information (e.g. description of the item, particularly serial numbers, and information on warranty)
  • The account should be the 1-xxxx determined earlier
  • If you have multiple locations, it should also define where the item is to be located

Purchase.png

3.Pay the bill, selecting the ‘Pay from Account’ as the 2-xxxx loan account set up earlier and entering in the amount of the loan ($89,590.20).

Pay Bills.png

Upon recording this example transaction, both the 1-xxxx account and the 2-xxxx account now have a value of $89,590.20.

4. Create a Spend Money transaction with the 2-xxxx loan account as the Pay from Account, and the Acct No. as the 2-xxxx Unexpired Interest account. In our example, the unexpired interest amount is $12,863.05.

Spend Money.png

In our example, the accounts now look like this:

Accounts list.png

That is the last time you’ll need to touch the 1-xxxx accounts until the accountant finalises the accounts and gives you a depreciation figure.

A word of warning – unless you are familiar with the depreciation schedule that the accountant is using you should not attempt to determine the depreciation yourself. The depreciation is normally journaled in as part of the alignment journal and the other side of it is Depreciation on the P & L.

REPAYMENT OF LOAN

Making your first Payment

As the establishment fee is normally added to the first payment, the first payment may be slightly higher than the remaining payments.

1. Create a Spend Money transaction, selecting your bank account as the ‘Pay from Account’
  2. The payment should show the repayment amount for the loan, including the establishment fee (if applicable). In our example, this would look like the following:

2-2100               ABC Loan                        $2137.57          N-T

6- xxxx               Bank Charges                $432.95             FRE

Spend Money 2.png

Note:

If you have a complete schedule from the finance company, it can be entered as:

2-2100               ABC Loan                $500.00             N-T

2-2105               Unexpired Interest    $1508.08          N-T

6- xxxx               Bank Charges          $432.95            FRE

This method means that you have to make changes every month reflecting the principal/interest. You may be more comfortable leaving this adjustment to the accountant come EOFY, as it does not affect your day-to-day reporting.

Making the second (and the next 46) payments

• These can be made following either of the above examples, minus the bank charges.
  • It is better to wait until the money has come out of the bank and either picked up by bank feeds or shown on a statement to create the Spend Money transactions.
  • If the finance company imposes fees for late payment, these should be allocated to a Bank Charges account. Penalty Interest should be allocated to an Interest Expense account – normally a 9-xxxx.

Making the final payment

• Confirm with the loan company the amount of the final payment - it should be the net amount on the loan minus the unexpired interest.
  • After the final payment is made, any amount on the loan account should equal the Unexpired Interest, but in opposite direction. Payment from the Loan to Unexpired Interest should zero both lines.

HANDLING MOTORISED VEHICLES

All motorised vehicles have a relatively short depreciation period compared to plant and equipment so are separated on the accounts list. There are also different ways of writing down the value of a motor vehicle, so seek the advice of your accountant.

In recording any vehicle purchase, remember to record the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) as it may be required for audit purposes. Other items that should form part of your record are the make, model, colour and registration number.

Trucks, off-road vehicles, tractors, fork lifts, trailers and vehicles that are not passenger vehicles can be treated in the same manner as the equipment entries we used in the example above.

This is also true of motor vehicles with a purchase price less than the Luxury Car Tax threshold. However, consideration should be given to the balloon, which seems to be an increasingly common means of writing loans for motor vehicles.

The Balloon

The balloon refers to the amount remaining after the number of payments specified in the contract has been paid. This amount needs to be paid back to the finance company to finalise the loan agreement. It is generally less than the written down value of the vehicle at the completion of the loan. Commonly, the balloon is rolled into a new loan figure as the vehicle is changed for a later model. Any loan document must specify the amount of the balloon at the completion of the loan.

Below are the accounts required for a loan with a balloon:

1-xxx0                              M-V at Cost

1-xxx5                              M-V Accum Dep

2- xxx0                             XYZ Loan M-V

2- xxx5                             XYZ Loan Unexp. Int.

2-xx10                              XYZ Loan – Balloon

As with equipment loans, the loan is set up as a Credit Card type account.

Using either Spend Money or Purchase and Pay Bill transactions, the vehicle is paid for from the loan account.

Using Spend Money, the balloon is paid to the 2-xx10 account.

The balance of the figure is then paid, using a Spend Money transaction, from the Loan Account to the Unexpired Interest Account.

Deposits Paid

Most car traders require a deposit to be paid by the owner/director. This becomes the first payment to the motor vehicle cost. On some occasions, this is included in the payment from the loan company and the deposit refunded by the car trader. The deposit should show as coming from and returning to the Director’s Loan account.

Trade In

A trade in is seen as a sale from your business to the car trader and must be acknowledged as such. It is normally recorded as an Other Income type account (8-xxxx Sale of Assets) with funds flowing to and from the Undeposited Funds account or another clearing account.

If you are trading in a vehicle that is above the Luxury Car Tax Threshold (see below), there are rules that need to be followed and are outside the scope of these notes.

Luxury Car Tax Threshold

The government has determined that the vehicles over a certain value cannot be written off as a business expense.

For the 2016 financial year, the Luxury Car Threshold is $63,184, or $75,375 for a fuel efficient vehicle.

There are some exceptions to the application of the threshold. Most notable are utilities, emergency vehicles, vehicles specifically modified for use by disabled drivers/passengers, and vehicles purchased by registered charities. Any LCT 4-door utility should be discussed with your accountant and/or the ATO.

Anything outside the LCT threshold cannot be claimed and the CAP figure should be 1/11th of the LCT limit.

This means that if there is a loan supporting this purchase, the first $63,184 can be paid from the loan towards the vehicle as CAP. The unexpired interest and any balloon considerations should also be paid from the loan account. The remainder of the loan should be paid to the Director’s Loan account and this account used to pay the remainder of the vehicle, coded N-T.

I understand this is a very vast and complex topic. I have opted to concentrate on Chattel Mortgage, being the most common form of financing. And included a brief description of the difference between the various forms of finance.

Should you need any further information on anything covered in this article, or would just like to chat about finance, please comment below. I’d be happy to discuss.

Happy reading!!

Ron Boulton

BAS Group
1300 BAS GRP (1300 227 477)
ron@basgroup.com.au

Ron B
BAS Group
03 95588477

info@basgroup.com.au
Making MYOB work for you
39 REPLIES 39
Liam_M
3,488 Posts
Former Staff
Australia
Former Staff

3,488Posts

0Kudos

529Solutions

Re: Capital Purchases and Finance in AccountRight

Thanks for your very detailed article @ronatbas!

Capital purchases are often asked about, chattel mortgages in particular. This will be a fantastic reference material for anyone wanting to know how to record these purchases and deal with the financing. I'll certainly be directing people to this information in future.

Kind Regards

Liam
MYOB Client Support
CloudMindAcc
Ultimate Partner
1,949 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,949Posts

724Kudos

234Solutions

Thanks ronatbas great information and examples will also be referring to this blog to my clients as well.

If I am responding to your query and I have helped you please kindly mark my post as a solution to assist others in the future.
Warm Regards
Renae
DuncanS
Ultimate Partner
1,924 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,924Posts

549Kudos

168Solutions

Ron,

Very detailed article.

A few observations -

The Card for the Finance Coy should include the monthly amount.

I would set up 2 Cards  ABC Loan 47 by $2137.57

ABC Loan final Oct 19 $1987.46

The Luxury Car Threshold (ie when Luxury Car Tax is charged) and the Luxury Car Limit for depreciation and Input Tax Credits are 2 different figures.

My understanding is that the Luxury Car Limit for depreciation and Input Tax Credits for FY16 is $57,466.

The maximum amount of Input Tax Credits that can be claimed is $57,466 / 11 = $5224.

If there is personal use, I reduce the $5224 by the personal use %.

If a car costs more than $57,466, I create a separate ledger called MV (over $57466).

This is important in working out a potential profit on sale given that depreciation at 15/30% means a car is often written down faster than its resale price.

Accounting for cars is indeed complex - as you say all business owners should consult their accountant for advice. Cloud Accounting should assist in getting regular advice from an accountant.

Duncan Smith

Business Advice + Tax

Duncan Smith
Business Advice + Tax
Helping business owners build a better business since 1998
E duncan@businessadvicetax.com.au T 02 9904 3672 7 days
ronatbas
Ultimate Partner
4,553 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

4,553Posts

1,304Kudos

723Solutions

@DuncanS

Hi Duncan

I don't know how many times I thought I must remember to put the amount after the Loan name and then sent it off without doing so. I really like your system of also adding the number of payments and your further input re LCT - Suja had given me a 'deadline' and I was already pushing the boundary on that so I didn't complete the LCT. I also like your treatment of  LCT vehicles on the COA.

Regards

Ron

Ron B
BAS Group
03 95588477

info@basgroup.com.au
Making MYOB work for you
Suja_P
5,976 Posts
Former Staff
Australia
Former Staff

5,976Posts

0Kudos

477Solutions

Thank you, Duncan (@DuncanS) for your input on Ron's blog.

This is exactly what we hope to achieve on these blogs. We hope for Ron's post and the discussions between experts like the two of you to benefit everyone visiting this space.

Thank you again Ron for providing such a detailed article for our community members.

Cheers,

Suja

Cheers,
Suja Pillai

Social Support and Community Manager

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Geoff_
Ultimate Partner
1,721 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,721Posts

96Kudos

180Solutions

Hi Duncan

Great article thankyou

Many thanks

Geoff

Busselton Bookkeeping Service

Geoff
Busselton Bookkeeping Service
MYOB Bookkeeping Partner, BAS Service Provider
Phone 08 9754 7680
Timtam
2 Posts
Cover User
Australia
Cover User

2Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Purchase and sale of a MV - No GST- General Journal Entry

Hi

I am new and have been asked by the accountant to enter a general journal entry for the purchase and sale of a mv.

The client purchased the mv in 2000 privately no gst.

He sold it in 2012 for 2000 no gst.

I have set up an at cost MV account 1 - 2211.

Also what date should it be recorded as i am doing paperwork from 2011 onwards.

All help appreciated.

Cheers Tam

ronatbas
Ultimate Partner
4,553 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

4,553Posts

1,304Kudos

723Solutions

@Timtam

Sorry I missed this as it was not on the main boards.

A $2000 vehicle that is obviously more than 12 years old would be well and truly depreciated to zero so the first entry you should make is to your Depreciation on M/V which should sit immediately below 1-2211. Dr Depreciation (6-xxxx) Cr Dep on MV (1-xxxx). This could all be recorded as 30/6/11.

If your client is registered for GST then the sale would include GST and the account should be (8 -xxxx) Other Income.

Ron B
BAS Group
03 95588477

info@basgroup.com.au
Making MYOB work for you
Sam987
2 Posts
Cover User
Cover User

2Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Motor Vehicle Chattel Mortgage - Recording entry with deposit

Hi all

I have looked at a number of posts already regarding entering a car purchase and just can't get my head around it.

I am trying to record a purchase of a car totalling $41147

$500 was already paid from personal funds (say owner contribution) as deposit.

A further $3500 was paid from the business account.

Is it a simple matter of opening a MV asset account and doing a general journal where i Debit it $41147?

But then I am lost on the other side of the transaction. I've attached my entry - which i think looks ok for the purchase side of things

Do i credit Loan account for the difference ($37147)? ANd then how do i record the 2 deposits?

Apologies Its a dumb question, but hoping someone can help me.

Thanks in advance.

I have 3 cars to enter, so hopefully once I have it sorted on one, I can do the others.

Its a Chattel Mortgage, so I am claiming the GST upfront.

Thanks again

Capture.PNG

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post