sziguras
3 Posts
User

3Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

recording a fixed asset

I am Treasurer and do the books for a non-profit Co-Operative. Last year we spent some money (around $6500) upgrading the electrical cabling in our factory. That was recorded as an Expense by the previous Treasurer. Our Auditor has since said it should have been recorded as an addition to our fixed assets but he is not able to advise how to do that.

I've tried to find articles on MYOB about how to do this but most just say to talk to an accountant. Can anyone advise me how I can record this spending as a fixed asset? Should I also delete it as an expense transaction (the auditor didn't include it in our list of expenses)?

I'm a bit confused about how to manage all of this, any advice most appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Princess_R
MYOB Moderator
3,201 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

3,201Posts

118Kudos

492Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: recording a fixed asset

Hi @sziguras,

Thank you for your post, and welcome to the Community forum.

In this matter, it is advisable to seek guidance from your accountant to ensure adherence to accounting standards and regulations. We can offer assistance in navigating the process of upgrading the electrical cabling as a fixed asset. Typically, you would need to establish a new fixed asset specifically for the electrical cabling upgrade. Since we're not an accountant, we're unable to provide specific advice on this matter, if there are any adjustments needed for the previous expense entry , it is strongly recommended to consult with your accountant for tailored guidance in this situation.

If there's anything else we can assist you with, please feel free to reach out.

Cheers,

Princess

DuncanS
Ultimate Partner
1,935 Posts
Ultimate Partner
Australia
Ultimate Partner

1,935Posts

549Kudos

168Solutions

@sziguras @Princess_R 

There is an ongoing saga between Repairs and Improvements - have a read of the ATO website.

I do not know why the Auditor has deemed the Cabling to be an Improvement not an Expense.

Nor why the Auditor could not assist with the required Accounting Entries.,

Sometimes we have to do what we are told.

Create a Non-Current Asset called Improvements to Cabling  Include a month and year.

The issue then is the useful life of the Improvement to Cabling.

I suggest Monthly/Annual Journals for the Depreciation would be required.

Duncan

Duncan Smith
Business Advice + Tax
Helping business owners build a better business since 1998
E duncan@businessadvicetax.com.au T 02 9904 3672 7 days
Doreen_P
MYOB Moderator
3,446 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

3,446Posts

180Kudos

386Solutions

Hi, @DuncanS

Thank you for this additional information. We truly appreciate your support for the Community Forum. 

Best regards,

Doreen

MYOB Community Forum

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Accept it as a Solution
Leave a to tell others

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post