Share your ideas for improving. Vote on ideas and discuss them with the MYOB product development team.

Product Ideas

Online Payments: Credit Card Surcharge

Cover User

14Posts

482Kudos

0Solutions

14 Posts
Cover User
Australia

I have looked through posts dating back to 2012 and beyond where people have been requesting the ability to have MYOB automatically calculate and (where applicable) add a surcharge for Credit Card payments.

I have the PayDirect device and need to re-issue an invoice to manually add an extra line for a surcharge to the invoice while the customer is with me.

Now that PayDirect Online has been released, a customer has the ability to pay an invoice with their credit card at their leisure, but I end up being charged for it without the customer even being aware. I have phoned customer service and was informed that there is currently no way of automatically adding the surcharge and the system doesn't do it. I am currenlty on the screen to setup PayDirect Online so have not tested it myself. The advice of customer service was to increase my fees to cover the surcharge. Not really fair on people who are not paying by card.

Personally, I would have thought this is something that should have been written into the software prior to releasing the Online component, or should be an option included in the online section that adds the surcharge to the final total prior to the customer paying.

"Credit Card Surcharge"

Current Status: Done
Last Changed: January 2021

Hi Everyone

Thank you for showing your support for this idea through the years.

Following on from our early adopter's program, with the release of AccountRight 2020.4 we have introduced the ability for users to pass on credit card surcharge for online invoice payments. Customer surcharging for online payments has more information on this topic and getting started with that.

Once again, thank you for your support and your patience for this long-awaited feature.

232 Comments
Carrie_B
1 Post
Cover User

As a small business and not being able to charge a surcharge for credit card payments is incredibly costly to our business. I'm not sure why myob didn't do this when creating the PayDirect Online option. The banks take enough from us for credit cards fees, so whilst having what we think is a better option, it actually is not!

A_G_A
5 Posts
Cover User

Credit Card Surcharges:

Our customers have 30 day EOM terms and as some payments will fall after that BAS period it would not be right to add a line to that inovice for the credit card surcharge.

At the moment I am entering the surcharge via receive money but I would like to have the option in receive payments section to enter the credit card surcharge at the time the payment is made (Just as there is that option for finance charges) and to have the choice in what general ledger item it is allocated to on the P & L. Could this please be implemented to an upgrade somewhere in the near future?

Same goes for creditor payments via credit card.

Thank you

pldaye
8 Posts
Cover User

Absolutely not quite sure with all the above! when supplying an easier way for our customers to pay, a fee should be applied ???

Maybe it should be standard and included with our  service. Given the choice whether we apply it or not.  

PayDirect Online, is an excellant service for the supplier not for customer.

Eat_Gluten_Free
1 Post
Cover User

I will most likely be using this feature when I can recover the cost with fees being charged to the client using the service. Cheers.

Character
2 Posts
Cover User

Absolutley agree we should have the option to forward on surcharge, also an option for them to part pay an invoice for example paying a deposit

AlanT
Partner
2,368 Posts
Partner

@Character

Hi Kirstie,

I totally agree with the option to part pay.  Where is the 'Like' button on this forum?

Many of my clients are tradies and they do a quote then if the customer wants to go ahead they send the invoice but don't start until they have paid a 50% deposit for materials.  At the moment they don't have any problems because I have advised them not to use this half baked feature.

This would mean that they would need to raise two invoices, one for the deposit and another at the completion of the job.

So glad I advised them not to use it.  Phew!.

Alan

@Steven_M

@Dale

Cas2589
2 Posts
Cover User

There are other services out there that allow oncharging the fees to the customer.  Unfortunately that service integrates with Xero but not MYOB (it also has some other limitations/criteria but is workable).  MYOB needs to get up to update their product (if they wont allow integration with others) as it appears that it is a feature that most MYOB users want.

ARF
1 Post
Cover User

Very important to add this feature soon!

Alissa_Jamieson
7 Posts
Cover User

221 likes on this post and 98 comments - WHAT ARE YOU DOING MYOB.......take notice.  You have a great product that we are all paying good money to use.  Listen to your customers.  Surely your tech gurus could overcome this issue easily??????

CamGuru
Experienced Cover User
30 Posts
Experienced Cover User

Completely agree that there should be an option to add a surcharge. What's the point in using a feature if it's only going to cost you money? I would definitely consider putting our file online to use this feature if there was an option to add a surcharge.