7 Posts
Contributing User
Contributing User

7Posts

8Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Invoice number not a critical field??

How is it possible that MYOB allows duplicate invoice numbers?

The most critical piece of data in an invoicing system is the invoice number, all else revolves around that.

Yet today I have two invoices with the same number.

Warning to the unwary - check that the number hasn't been used before.

3 REPLIES 3
Leneth_A
MYOB Moderator
2,009 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

2,009Posts

86Kudos

253Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Invoice number not a critical field??

Hi @ElanaK

Thanks for your post. Please allow me to extend you a very warm welcome to the Community Forum. I hope you find it a useful tool.

Invoice numbers are designed to default to the first number available in the 8-character sequence, but sometimes when old invoices are deleted, it will try to use that number and affects the sequence.

There is no option to give a warning when the number has been used before, but there is a workaround to get the software to 'remember' a new sequence with a higher number to avoid duplication.

To do this you would manually change the invoice number to a higher number. After doing this manually for a few invoices, the software will remember the new sequence and automatically use it for future invoices and hopefully avoid using invoice numbers already used.

Please don't hesitate to post again if you need help in the future.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Leneth

MYOB Community Forum

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Accept it as a Solution
Leave a to tell others

LAHALL
2 Posts
Cover User
Cover User

2Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Totally agree, this has just happened to me to. 

MYOB HAS to create a unique invoice number everytime - what is the point otherwise? 

How do I track invoices that are going out to many different people when they all have the same numbers.....ridiculous MYOB. 

Deleting my subscription. 

Earl_HD
MYOB Moderator
3,119 Posts
MYOB Moderator
MYOB Moderator

3,119Posts

102Kudos

229Solutions

Hi @LAHALL,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forum! I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with invoice showing the same number. And my apologies for the late response. In AccountRight, if you need to track invoices that are going out to many different people, but they all have the same invoice numbers, you can use the "Customer Purchase Order" field to uniquely identify each invoice. Here's how to do it:

Enable and Use Customer Purchase Orders:

• In AccountRight, go to the "Setup" menu and select "Preferences."
  • Under the "Sales" and "Purchases" section, you can enable and configure the "Automatically Print/Email/Save Sales When They are Recorded(Invoices, Orders and Quotes" option. This allows you to enter unique identifiers for each customer when creating an invoice.

Please do let us know if you have further queries and one of us will be happy to assist you.
Regards,
Earl

MYOB Community Forum

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Accept it as a Solution
Leave a to tell others

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post