Forum Discussion

QTD
User
2 years ago
Solved

Two bills have unknown entries of the same amount, but lists it as a "Deposit"

I have entered 2 bills. They have been paid and this reconciles, however, there is also now a "Deposit" for each of these bill amounts, as well. I don't know why this has happened and I don't know ho...
    2 years ago

Hi QTD 

A deposit is a payment against a purchase order that hasn't been billed yet. If a deposit is paid for a purchase, the deposit amount is posted to an asset account, then when the purchase order is converted to a bill it moves from the asset account to the trade debtors account. 

Where you mentioned seeing two deposits outstanding, do they have "Transfer from deposits" as the memo for the transactions? If this is the case, then it is likely the automatic posting that happens due to a payment being applied to a PO.

If this is showing incorrectly on a reconciliation then I would check the linked account under; Setup > Link Accounts > Purchase Accounts > Asset Account for Supplier Deposits. Then possibly need to change the linked account and do a journal if it is incorrect.

For a more detailed explanation of the workflow with payments against a purchase order see our Help Article: Supplier deposits.

If you still need assistance, do let me know, and if you could include screenshots that would be helpful. 

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.