Forum Discussion

GuyMitchell
Cover User
10 months ago
Solved

Accidentally sent payroll to ATO as update event not pay event

When I did our 2 fornightly pay runs for June, I forgot to change the default selection from "Updated pay run" to "New pay run" when I submitted them to the ATO. Now, in the 'STP reports' tab on the 'Single Touch Payroll Reporting' page is shows those payruns as $0 Gross and $0 Withholding pay. Does this matter?

I've attached a screenshot and highlighted the 2 pay runs for June. For some reason they don't show the correct dates in the Pay Period column either, they just show "30 June".

• Hi Mary11 

See my post here which provides some info about how STP reporting works. It also explains the difference between a Pay Event and an Update Event.

Basically the first time you report a payrun, it should be a Pay Event. Anything else should be an Update event. The difference is purely Activity Statement prefill. If you reported a Pay Event as an Update Event, the prefill details for your BAS for the relevant period may be wrong and you should simply correct these on the BAS. 

Regards

Gavin

9 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Mary11
    Trusted User

Hi - Was there an answer to this post as I have done the same thing?

gavin12345
      Ultimate User

Hi Mary11 

See my post here which provides some info about how STP reporting works. It also explains the difference between a Pay Event and an Update Event.

Basically the first time you report a payrun, it should be a Pay Event. Anything else should be an Update event. The difference is purely Activity Statement prefill. If you reported a Pay Event as an Update Event, the prefill details for your BAS for the relevant period may be wrong and you should simply correct these on the BAS. 

Regards

Gavin

Mary11
        Trusted User

Thanks Gavin - I still need a bit of clarification please.

1) Is this correct - when you send a payrun "Update event" or a New pay event" then the total gross paid & tax withheld for the employee is used to overwrite current ATO data for that employee?

2) In error, I sent a new payrun as an "Update Event" for 1 employee instead of a "New Pay Event" so under "MYOB Payroll - Single Touch Payroll Reporting" it shows "Gross Wages" & "PAYG Withholding" as $0 each. So does this mean the pre-populated BAS online will be incorrect and so I assume I can manually change gross wages (W1) & PAYG (W2) - is that right?

3) As the payrun is correct in MYOB can I just leave it as is or do I have to reverse it and then resend it to ATO as the correct "New Pay Event"?

Thanks

Mary

Regards 

Mary

GuyMitchell
      Cover User

Hi Mary, I reversed the payruns that were incorrectly submitted as an update event and resubmitted them. However, based on Gavin's answer, that doesn't seem to be necessary. From memory, when I resubmitted the payruns I wasn't given the option to submit them as a "New event", but everything seemed to work out okay.

If you want to reverse the payrun and resubmit it, you can do that as follows by selecting:

1 - Click Payroll

2 - Click Payruns

3 - Click date of payrun you want to reverse

4 - Click name of employee to open pay info popup

5 - Click "Reverse Pay" button in bottom left corner of popup.

6 - Do the same with all other employees in that payrun.

7 - Then, create a new payrun.

Note: When you reverse a payrun, then close and reopen the pay info popup, the option to reverse the payrun is still visible, but you will find that the pay run has been reversed when you go back to the Payroll -> Payruns list.

Cheers, Guy

Mary11
        Trusted User

Hi Guy

Thank you for your prompt response. I followed your steps below to reverse my payrun and resend as a New Event as I wanted the ATO online IAS & BAS to show the correct amounts in the pre-filled fields. I've added 1 more step to you list below for other users reviewing this post:

If you want to reverse the payrun and resubmit it, you can do that as follows by selecting:

1 - Click Payroll

2 - Click Payruns

3 - Click date of payrun you want to reverse

4 - Click name of employee to open pay info popup

5 - Click "Reverse Pay" button in bottom left corner of popup.

6 - Do the same with all other employees in that payrun.

7 - Send report to ATO it will show as a negative amount

8 - Then, create a new payrun.

Regards

Mary