Forum Discussion

talinga
Contributing User
8 months ago
Solved

Payroll report as updated or new pay run

Hi,

I'm seeking a little more clarification on selecting "NEW" or "UPDATED" when it comes to any changes to the original pay run.  

In the scenario below, the new pay is only for the overtime and allowance which are in addition to the original pay. The original pay run was not reversed. An UPDATED pay run means it overwrites the original one. Thus, I think this pay run should also select "NEW pay". 

Example 4

You recorded a pay yesterday but forgot to pay an employee some overtime or an allowance. You record a new pay, just to pay the overtime or allowance, and you choose yesterday as the Date of payment. Because this date is prior to today and you're fixing a previous pay, you'd choose Report as an updated pay run.

https://help.myob.com/wiki/display/myob/Reporting+past-dated+pays+for+Single+Touch+Payroll#

Thank you

Talinga 

• Hi talinga

Thank you for your response and sorry for the confusion.

In scenario 1, ATO will only include the new pay run because the first incorrect pay run was reversed. If you have already recorded a reversal for the pay run the amount won't be added to the YTD totals. 

On the other hand, the first pay run in scenario 4 was not reversed. Hence the totals of the two pay runs will be added to the YTD report.

Let us know if you still have questions. We're happy to help.

Cheers,

Genreve

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Genreve_S
    MYOB Moderator

Hi talinga

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community Forum. 

I understand how important creating the new pay run correctly is. Recording the second pay run as updated does not overwrite the previous pay run in the file, this will just inform ATO to update the values for that pay run. Regardless, you could choose either of the options and this would not affect the values of your payroll reports. 

Let us know if you require any further assistance with this. We're happy to help. 

Cheers, 
    Genreve

talinga
      Contributing User

Hi Gereve,

Thank you for your reply. 

I see another issue from your reply. If "UPDATED" does not overwrite the original run, then ATO would receive 2 pay runs lodgement ATO in the example below although the wrong run was reversed in my system. One is the original run which is wrong and the other is the corrected one.  In other words, in ATO's view, this employee gets paid twice, although it is not the case. 

Example 1

You recorded a pay last week, but you realised the pay was wrong (maybe it was missing some sick leave), so you reversed it. You record the pay again, with the correct details, and you choose a Date of payment from last week. Because this date is prior to today and you're fixing a previous pay, you'd choose Report as an updated pay run.

Genreve_S
        MYOB Moderator

Hi talinga

Thank you for your response and sorry for the confusion.

In scenario 1, ATO will only include the new pay run because the first incorrect pay run was reversed. If you have already recorded a reversal for the pay run the amount won't be added to the YTD totals. 

On the other hand, the first pay run in scenario 4 was not reversed. Hence the totals of the two pay runs will be added to the YTD report.

Let us know if you still have questions. We're happy to help.

Cheers,

Genreve