Payment date wrong in ABA file

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
Bluewave
Trusted Cover User
79 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Trusted Cover User

79Posts

16Kudos

3Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

Payment date wrong in ABA file

I just created a Pay Run in advance, with the payment date set as 27/12/2021. I have done this many times before.  Everything looked fine on the payrun and then I created an Electronic Transfer (ABA file).  When uploading the file to the bank, the date of transfer was today 22/12/2021 rather than on Monday.  I checked the ABA file (opened using Text app), and sure enough, the date in the file is wrong. I went back to my payrun to see if anything was amiss there, but no - it's all set for a 27/12/2021 payment, and the payslips also say the same thing.

I know that I can edit the ABA file, but this isn't something anyone should have to do, and many folks wouldn't know how to do it anyway.  This problem should not occur in the first place.

Why did MYOB create a payment file with the wrong date?  Is there another step in the new program that I missed doing?

5 REPLIES 5
Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Re: Payment date wrong in ABA file

Hi @Bluewave 

Thanks for your post. The payment date for a bank file comes from the date entered in the Date of payment field in Prepare electronic payments.

You'll need to delete the Prepare electronic payments transaction and reprocess with the correct date entered in the Date of payment field. The help article, Changing or fixing electronic payments, has detailed information.

Please let me know if you need further help.

If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Online Help| Forum Search| my.MYOB| Download Page

Did my answer help?

Mark it as a SolutionHelpful? Leave a to tell others

Bluewave
Trusted Cover User
79 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Trusted Cover User

79Posts

16Kudos

3Solutions

Thanks Tracey. I ended up doing that very thing when I was unable to edit the date of the transaction. I had already edited the original ABA file so the payment from the bank will be on the correct date. I then just trashed the duplicate ABA file created after doing the transaction fix.

It seems odd that a payrun set for a certain date will generate an electronic transaction for a different date, and then this must be noticed and manually amended before completing the process. 

So far I am not a fan of the "new MYOB", but I guess I'll just need to get used to it. I seem to be needing to change dates and date ranges in places where I didn't have to before.

Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Hi @Bluewave 

In the newer Essentials platform and AccountRight electronic payments work by allocating payruns and supplier payments to the electronic clearing account instead of the bank account. When you process an electronic payment, the bank file is created and a transaction is also recorded that moves the amount from the electronic clearing account to the bank account. 

Payruns/supplier payments and electronic payments are two separate processes. As such, it's up to the user to enter the payment date for the electronic payment when processing that transaction.

I hope that clarifies how electronic payments work. Please don't hesitate to post again if you need further help.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Bluewave
Trusted Cover User
79 Posts
Trusted Cover User
Australia
Trusted Cover User

79Posts

16Kudos

3Solutions

Yes, but in AccountRight the date of payment must match the date of transaction or those payments won't show up in the pick list (filtered out). That makes it more fail-safe than the new Essentials program. Had the wages payments not shown up when I was creating the ABA electronic payment file, then it would have prompted me to look for what was amiss.

I feel that should be a feature of Essentials, as it is in AR.

Tracey_H
12,172 Posts
Former Staff
Former Staff

12,172Posts

0Kudos

1,836Solutions

Hi @Bluewave 

In AccountRight the Prepare electronic payments window will display all transactions up to and including the date entered in the Bank Processing Date field:

elec.PNG

In MYOB Essentials the Prepare electronic payments window displays transactions based on the dates entered in the Transactions from and to fields:

elec2.PNG

Please let me know if you need further help.

Cheers,
Tracey
Previously @bungy15

MYOB Community Support

Did my answer help?

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post