Forum Discussion

PeterBor
Contributing User
8 months ago
Solved

GST report - Accounting method - Payments vs Invoice radio button

Hi,

Can someone please advise that the different the Payment and Invoice accounting mode is in the GST report

Thanks

Peter

• Hi PeterBor,

Thanks for the screenshot and my apologies for the late response. In the context of  GST reporting, payment accounting and invoice accounting are two different methods of accounting for GST. These methods determine when you report and claim GST on your transactions. Here's a brief explanation of the differences between payment and invoice accounting modes in the GST report: 

Invoice 

• With invoice accounting, the GST is reported based on the issuance of invoices.
    • When you create a sale invoice or receive a purchase invoice, MYOB records the GST amount in the relevant GST accounts and reports it in the GST reports for the tax period in which the invoice was issued.
    • This means that even if you haven't received or made the actual payment for the transaction, the GST is recorded and reported when the invoice is created.

Payment 

• Payment accounting, also known as cash accounting, reports GST based on actual payments received or made.
    • GST is recorded and reported in the GST reports only when payments are received for sales or made for purchases. If you haven't received or made any payments, GST is not reported for those transactions.

It's also important to consult with your accountant or tax advisor when configuring your GST settings in you AccountRight.

Feel free to post again, we're happy help.
    Regards,
    Earl

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Genreve_S
    MYOB Moderator

Hi PeterBor

Thanks for posting your concern in the forum. 

I understand how important it is that the differences in the options in the GST report are clear. In my understanding, GST report options only show either Cash or Accrual. The cash report includes all transactions paid during those period ranges of the report, while the accrual report will include even the transactions that were paid in cash and paid after the transition date.

I recommend reading through this article Business reports. This will give you more information about the GST reports. 

If my understanding is incorrect, feel free to clarify your question. Let us know if you require any further assistance. 

Cheers, 
    Genreve

PeterBor
      Contributing User

Here is a screen shot of the GST report on my MYOB system.

As you can see it says Payments or Invoice not Cash and Accrual

Screenshot 2023-10-06 161033.png

Earl_HD
        MYOB Moderator

Hi PeterBor,

Thanks for the screenshot and my apologies for the late response. In the context of  GST reporting, payment accounting and invoice accounting are two different methods of accounting for GST. These methods determine when you report and claim GST on your transactions. Here's a brief explanation of the differences between payment and invoice accounting modes in the GST report: 

Invoice 

• With invoice accounting, the GST is reported based on the issuance of invoices.
        • When you create a sale invoice or receive a purchase invoice, MYOB records the GST amount in the relevant GST accounts and reports it in the GST reports for the tax period in which the invoice was issued.
        • This means that even if you haven't received or made the actual payment for the transaction, the GST is recorded and reported when the invoice is created.

Payment 

• Payment accounting, also known as cash accounting, reports GST based on actual payments received or made.
        • GST is recorded and reported in the GST reports only when payments are received for sales or made for purchases. If you haven't received or made any payments, GST is not reported for those transactions.

It's also important to consult with your accountant or tax advisor when configuring your GST settings in you AccountRight.

Feel free to post again, we're happy help.
        Regards,
        Earl