Forum Discussion

Liz_A
Valued User
3 months ago
Solved

MYOB Cash Profit & Loss not agreeing with Current Earnings in Balance Sheet

I have been working with Cash & Accrual reports for web based MYOB clients and the accountant I work with, noticed that the Cash report for Profit & Loss Net Profit figure does not agree with the Equity Current Earnings figure. It is ok when the reports are Accrual so are we missing something or is this a bug/corruption?

Regards

Liz

• Hi Liz_A 

I am not sure exactly how MYOB developers have done things here as I do not use P&L on cash basis in MYOB.

A Balance Sheet needs to balance. A Balance Sheet is normally on an accruals basis, and needs to show things like debtors and creditors (and liabilities - even unpaid liabilities).

Cash Basis is generally for Profit and Loss calculation only. The difference is timing. So the profit on a cash basis P&L will rarely match the current year earnings on a Balance Sheet. Some accountants provide a Reconciliation Statement for reconcile Profit on Cash Basis P&L to Current Year earnings figure on Balance Sheet.

So I don't think this is a bug, just something you need to be aware of when presenting/explaining financial statements to clients.

Regards

Gavin

2 Replies

• Hi Liz_A 

I am not sure exactly how MYOB developers have done things here as I do not use P&L on cash basis in MYOB.

A Balance Sheet needs to balance. A Balance Sheet is normally on an accruals basis, and needs to show things like debtors and creditors (and liabilities - even unpaid liabilities).

Cash Basis is generally for Profit and Loss calculation only. The difference is timing. So the profit on a cash basis P&L will rarely match the current year earnings on a Balance Sheet. Some accountants provide a Reconciliation Statement for reconcile Profit on Cash Basis P&L to Current Year earnings figure on Balance Sheet.

So I don't think this is a bug, just something you need to be aware of when presenting/explaining financial statements to clients.

Regards

Gavin

Liz_A
      Valued User

Hi gavin12345 

Thanks - I have never done it this way before as the accountant usually only does the cash reporting for tax returns, so never looked at the reports in this format. I exported to Excel and adjusted for this one so I'll do this next time if it's needed again.

Cheers

Liz