GST Details Report not showing GST from bank payments for home office

This thread is now closed to new comments.
Some of the links and information provided in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question please start a new post.
RMcCarthy
4 Posts
Cover User
Cover User

4Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Solved: Go to Solution

GST Details Report not showing GST from bank payments for home office

Hi, am an MYOB newbie and trying to do my first NZ GST return since starting to use MYOB in April.  I have put a number of my expenses through as bank payments rather than raising these as individual bills as I'm only claiming a percentage (home office) or they're DDs  (insurance) and I don't get a regular invoice. When I run the GST report however, none of the bank payments are showing up although if I look at them individually they have GST associated to them.

Any advice as to why these aren't being picked up by the report.

6 REPLIES 6
jenniek
Ultimate Partner
2,917 Posts
Ultimate Partner
New Zealand
Ultimate Partner

2,917Posts

720Kudos

362Solutions

Re: GST Details Report not showing GST from bank payments for home office

Hi @RMcCarthy

I would say you are using the wrong basis for your GST return or report. Check that you are using the payments basis - not the invoice basis. You need to check which basis you are registered for. If you got a paper return from the IRD - this will tell you whether you are on a payments basis or invoice basis. A payments basis will include banking transactions and only paid purchases or sales. An invoice basis works only on sales or purchases regardless whether they are paid or ot.

Regards,
Jennie Kingma
JK Business Systems Ltd, Hamilton, NZ
Email: jennie@jkbusiness.co.nz
RMcCarthy
4 Posts
Cover User
Cover User

4Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi Jennie,

I'm not sure if I understand your response correctly.

I'm using both the GST detailed report and GST report within MYOB Essentials Reports and neither report is showing the bank payments which I've recorded in MYOB, they only reflect payments made when I've raised them as individual bills. 

jenniek
Ultimate Partner
2,917 Posts
Ultimate Partner
New Zealand
Ultimate Partner

2,917Posts

720Kudos

362Solutions

Hi @RMcCarthy

If you are using Essentials - then it is in your settings. Go to your name in the top right hand corner and click on it and choose GST settings - make sure you are set on cash basis and the reporting period is correct.

Regards,
Jennie Kingma
RMcCarthy
4 Posts
Cover User
Cover User

4Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

I tried this and it's made no difference whether I select Cash or Accruals the bank payments are not appearing in the Detailed GST report.

jenniek
Ultimate Partner
2,917 Posts
Ultimate Partner
New Zealand
Ultimate Partner

2,917Posts

720Kudos

362Solutions

Accepted Solution Solved

Hi @RMcCarthy

Have you  checked the dates? - are they in the same period as the report? A cash basis report will show all transactions in the bank during the period requested. An invoice basis will show all invoices processed during the same period regardless of whether they have been paid or not.

Regards,
Jennie Kingma
RMcCarthy
4 Posts
Cover User
Cover User

4Posts

0Kudos

0Solutions

Sorted it - had loaded all these expenses in in October so of course they weren't being picked up in April to September period which I was running for my GST report.

Thanks for your help.

Didn't find your answer here?

Try using advanced search to find a post more easily Advanced Search
or
Get the conversation started and make a new post Start a Post