Forum Discussion

RPT
Experienced User
5 years ago
Solved

bank account balance not reflecting actual balance

• Hi RPT 

The balance of an account in the Accounts List is the balance of the account including all transactions. This does include future dated transactions. The account balance of the Find Transactions window is up to a set date (generally today's date). This does mean there may be a difference between the account balances if you have transactions recorded in the future.

I would recommend going to Banking>>Bank Register and extending the date range i.e. make the To date well into the future i.e. 31/12/9998. This will show you all the transactions for that account including future dated ones. The balance listed on the last transaction window should agree with the Account list balance as you are now showing all transactions for that account and the transactions dated after today's date would be the differences between the account balances. 

The balance of the account in the top right of the Bank Register is just a direct copy of that account list balance.

Do let us know how you get on and if you require further assistance.

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • could you elaborate on where you're seeing the account balance?

for example are you running a report? if so, which report and for what date range?

RPT
      Experienced User

Where do I see the incorrect balance? - Many places, here are a couple of examples:

In the accounts list - the 'bank account' account shows the wrong figure.

In the 'Bank Register' screen the balance in the top left corner also shows the wrong figure.

If I click the balance button beside this figure it shows the history of the correct balance and the ending balance on this screen is correct.

What might have caused the problem? I use mutiple currency bank accounts. I recently paid a Yen invoice from this account. Realising my mistake I entered the payment journal and changed the account to the Yen account. I suspect that there is an object file somewhere that generates this balance which did not pick up the reversal of the payment.

Steven_M
        Former Staff

Hi RPT 

The balance of an account in the Accounts List is the balance of the account including all transactions. This does include future dated transactions. The account balance of the Find Transactions window is up to a set date (generally today's date). This does mean there may be a difference between the account balances if you have transactions recorded in the future.

I would recommend going to Banking>>Bank Register and extending the date range i.e. make the To date well into the future i.e. 31/12/9998. This will show you all the transactions for that account including future dated ones. The balance listed on the last transaction window should agree with the Account list balance as you are now showing all transactions for that account and the transactions dated after today's date would be the differences between the account balances. 

The balance of the account in the top right of the Bank Register is just a direct copy of that account list balance.

Do let us know how you get on and if you require further assistance.

RPT
      Experienced User

Any thoughts on my problem?

While I suspect I may know why it happened (but I might be completely wrong) I have no idea how to fix it.