Forum Discussion

Ggastro
Experienced Cover User
2 months ago

Downgrade from AccountRight

We have been using MYOB for some 20 years over which time the cost has risen from our original outright purchase.

We will be ceasing employing a secretary as at 30/6 and therefore see no reason to continue with the expense of a package with employment abilities.

This is my wife's medical practice for which I have kept the accounts for over 30 years.

Is it feasible,or possible to downgrade the subscription to Business lite? ( I asssume I cannot just re-install the original First Accounts DVD and start again!)

2 Replies

• Hi Ggastro 

There are various options but your original DVD may still work. I am on Windows 10 and still use Classic MYOB v12, v13, v14, etc. onwards on my system with a few workarounds. I mostly use MYOB AccountRight Plus v19 as I find it fast and reliable with enough bells and whistles. To start using your old version, you would just need to enter opening balances at a specific date and work from there. 

However, if you have AccountRight with a perpetual licence, these files can still be confirmed without a subscription. You would need to ensure they don't automatically get upgraded and this can be done as well (see below message posted some time ago from Gavin12345). You won't have access to online options such as automatic bank account feeds, or STP.

If you don't have a perpetual licence, they can still be kept in a "Read Only" format on the Desktop for historical records.

Cheers

Liz

Unfortunately MYOB are not going to change their policy just because users want them to. Now just as there are ways to stop Windows 10 automatic updates, there are also ways to stop MYOB automatic updates, or at least work around them.

I keep using AR2020.1 even though MYOB has updated itself to AR2021.4

Take a look where MYOB installs itself - in a folder called AccountRight in a path like this:

C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Programs\MYOB\AccountRight

Inside that folder is another folder called app-2021.300.244119 or similar - this contains the files that run MYOB - AR2021.3. 

Copy this folder app-2021.300.244119 and paste under C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Programs\MYOB\ and rename it to AccountRight 2021.3

Delete your desktop shortcut and create a new shortcut to HuxleyApplication.exe inside the new folder.

From this point your shortcut will run AR2021.3 even though MYOB Updates to AR2021.4 or .5 etc

When you are ready to upgrade, repeat the above and create a folder for AccountRight 2021.4 etc and change the shortcut to the next version.