Forum Discussion

4 days ago

Debits and Credits

I'm new to Business Lite.  Is it correct that Income is Debit and Expenses are Credits?

• Thanks for your help lucy11 and Genreve_S.   I was informed that when entering transactions into Banking, it's done in reverse, but when you look in the Reports and Trial balance, it's around the correct way.  Business Lite is quite a bit different to Account Right, which is what I've been using for quite a few years.  :)

• Thanks for your help lucy11 and Genreve_S.   I was informed that when entering transactions into Banking, it's done in reverse, but when you look in the Reports and Trial balance, it's around the correct way.  Business Lite is quite a bit different to Account Right, which is what I've been using for quite a few years.  :)

• No, that's not correct. In accounting,  Income is credited and  expenses are debited. Here's why:

Income: increases with a credit, as it represents money coming into your business.

Expenses:  increase with a debit, as they reduce your profits.

If you're using Business Lite, it follows these standard accounting principles. Mastering this is key to keeping your financials accurate and compliant.

For expert tips on managing your business finances and GST, visit here 

• That's what I thought, but it's around the other way in mine.  All my expenses are going into the credit column & the income is going in the debit column 

Genreve_S
        MYOB Moderator

Hi JoyD27,

It's interesting how your account records debit and credit in reverse. It might be worth checking your linked accounts to make sure all has been set correctly. If the same recording issue persists after checking, I recommend creating a support ticket from the My Account window. 

Regards,

Genreve