Forum Discussion

MelBee's avatar
Experienced Cover User
2 years ago

Easy way to pay Super guarantee shortfall to a terminated employee?

Hi all I recently identified that I had not set MYOB up correctly to automatically calculate the Super Guarantee percentage increases.   The solution from the MYOB phone support team was to retrac...
  • Sam_R's avatar
    2 years ago

    Hi MelBee,


    Thanks for reaching out. 


    In order to do the super adjustment, it would need to be processed through Process payroll, therefore, the employee would need to be made 'Active' again with the termination date removed from their card. 


    You won't need to reverse/delete their historical (incorrect) pay runs as you've been advised, instead, you can just process a super adjustment through a pay run for the affected months, with the calculated difference. 


    If you need any further assistance with this, please do let me know. 


    If my response has answered your enquiry please click "Accept as Solution" to assist other users find this information.