Forum Discussion

PriscillaNT
Contributing User
4 years ago
Solved

Credit on Invoice does not reflect on Pledges Receivable

Hi there,

Late last year I applied credit against an invoice for one of our 'customers', which reduced the total of their bill. So far so good.

However, upon closer inspection, I see that in our Pledges Receivable account, where the credit has been applied, there is a credit to the Pledges Receivable account, directly followed by a debit. They both appear to be from the same sale transaction.

This obviously has a net effect of zero, so our Pledges Receivable account is showing a higher dollar amount than we are actually owed.

I'm not super familiar with credits and refunds. Can someone please help me out? I don't know what has gone wrong or how to get our Pledges Receivable account to show the right amount.

Thanks in advance!

IanChait
    4 years ago

Hi PriscillaNT 

You should be able to open the original credit note, and edit it. There are times when it gets locked, which means it becomes un editable. If this is the case, I suggest doing a General ledger Journal . 

The entry will be Credit Pledges Receivable, and Debit the account it should have been coded to. You may get a warning that this is a linked account, but you can ignore it in this instance.

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    IanChait
    Ultimate Partner

Hi PriscillaNT 

Is your Pledges Receivable account the linked Accounts Receivable account. If so, have a look at your credit and see if the allocation account is the Pledeges Receivable account. This would result in the Debit & Credit posting to the same account. The allocation account for the credit should be the same as the allocation account on the original invoice. 

PriscillaNT
      Contributing User

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your swift response.

The allocation account does appear to be the Pledges Receivable account. However, I can't figure out any way to change it, as it's within a closed off sale. Any advice in this situation?

Thanks again.

IanChait
        Ultimate Partner

Hi PriscillaNT 

You should be able to open the original credit note, and edit it. There are times when it gets locked, which means it becomes un editable. If this is the case, I suggest doing a General ledger Journal . 

The entry will be Credit Pledges Receivable, and Debit the account it should have been coded to. You may get a warning that this is a linked account, but you can ignore it in this instance.